- Lionel Messi was the standout name during the 65th Ballon d'Or ceremony at Theatre du Chatelet in Paris
- The PSG ace beat Robert Lewandowski and Jorginho to win the men’s Ballon d’Or for a record-extending seventh time
- Alexia Putellas became the third winner of the women’s award following an outstanding season with Barcelona and Spain
- Lewandowski bagged a consolation in the Best Striker of the Year as Chelsea collected the Club of the Year crown
Lionel Messi was the man of the moment during the 65th edition of the Ballon d'Or awards hosted in Paris on the night of Monday, November 29.
The Paris Saint-Germain superstar saw off stiff competition from 29 other nominees for the award to be crowned winner of the prize for the seventh time.
Messi picked the award after a scintillating 2020/21 season that saw him win titles with both Barcelona and the national team.
Despite Barca's relatively poor season, they did end the campaign with silverware as they lifted the Copa del Rey with the help of Messi.
The forward crowned the year with his first major title Argentina as they lifted the Copa del Rey.
Messi played a pivotal role in the triumph as he scored four goals and bagged five assists.
Meanwhile, despite the 34-year-old stealing the limelight at the Ballon d'Or awards, there were actually some big winners at the event.
All the winners at the awards gala
1. Kopa trophy (best player under 21) – Barcelona’s Pedri
2. Best Striker of the Year award – Lewandoski
3. Women’s Ballon d’Or 2021 – Barcelona’s Alexia Putellas
4. Yachine Trophy 2021 – PSG’s Gianluigi Donnarumma
5. Men’s Ballon d’Or 2021 – PSG’s Lionel Messi
6. Club of the Year award – Chelsea
Ronaldo finishes 6th in Ballon D'Or 2021
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo fell out of reckoning in this year’s tightly contested Ballon d’Or as the Manchester United striker finished in sixth position.
The 36-year-old scored 29 goals for Juventus in the Serie A last season and has continued with his blistering form since he returned to Manchester United on summer transfer window deadline day.
CR7 has scored 10 goals in all competition so far this season, but that did not take him past sixth position on the night the 2021 Ballon d’Or was handed to Lionel Messi.
Messi has now won the prestigious individual prize for the seventh time having after inspiring Argentina to Copa America glory.