1982 World Cup Winner Tells Italian Side Napoli to Replace Victor Osimhen With One Striker
- Victor Osimhen joined Italian giants Napoli in the summer of 2020, but his stay has been marred by injury and COVID-19 issues
- The Nigerian international featured in a total of 24 games for the Partenopei last season and scored 10 goals
- With 9 goals in 14 matches, he has missed a number of games this season following injury as he also contracted COVID-19 again
Following his recurrent injury problems since joining Italian side Napoli in the summer of 2020, Italian legend Alessandro Altobelli has told the club to look for Victor Osimhen's replacement, Soccernet reports.
Osimhen’s progress at the Serie A club has been plagued with a number of injuries, as covid-19 has also forced him out of action for several days on two occasions.
Altobelli who won the World Cup in 1982 believes Florentina striker Dusan Vlahovic will do better than Nigeria forward if the Partenopei can land him in Naples.
What is Osimhen's impact on Napoli so far?
The youngster played 24 matches for the club last season due to injury and covid issues, scoring ten goals as they missed out on the Champions League.
Osimhen started this season on a strong note, scoring nine goals in 14 appearances before testing positive for coronavirus which ruled him out of the AFCON 2021.
And Vlahovic impressed in the past two seasons, scoring 38 goals in 58 Serie A appearances as Altobelli believes the Serbian will help Napoli with goals.
He told TuttoNapoli:
“If Napoli had a strong striker at their disposal – and they did, that is Osimhen – where was he at this time?
“For me, Osimhen is a great striker, but in two years, he makes you ten games. He gives little to Napoli. I am of the opinion that Napoli must take on a great striker.
“If Napoli had Vlahovic, they would be at the top of the table.”
Osimhen returns for Napoli
Meanwhile, Nigerian international Victor Osimhen has recuperated and returned to action for his Italian side Napoli helping the Neapolitans to a win on Monday night.
He expressed delight having returned to action for the club coming on in the 71st minute at the Stadio Renato Dall’Ara.
After being on the sidelines for two months, Osimhen who wore a mask to shield his cheeks returned to action replacing Dries Mertens.
Napoli tell Chelsea to pay £66million for Osimhen
English Premier League giants Chelsea have been told to pay £66million for Napoli forward Victor Osimhen according to reports.
With Romelu Lukaku’s future at Stamford Bridge still uncertain, the Blues are already making attempt to sign another striker.
Lukaku’s controversial interview ripped apart the football world after the Belgian claimed he does not like the situation at Chelsea and then hinted he would love to return to Italian side Inter Milan
Ighalo continues scoring form
Sports Brief earlier reported that Odion Ighalo has continued his blistering goal-scoring form for Saudi outfit Al-Shabab as he netted his 12th league goal of the season.
The 32-year-old found the back of the net in his side’s 1-1 draw at home against Al-Fateh in the Saudi Pro League on Thursday.
The striker who was not released for the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations tournament in Cameroon has now scored 12 goals in 18 league appearances for Al Shabab this season.
Source: Sports Brief News