- Barcelona can heave a sigh of relief after Lionel Messi reveals he will sign a new deal with them
- The Argentine's contract with the Catalans was due in June but he has decided to stay at Camp Nou
- This means clubs like PSG and Man City can forget about signing the six-time Ballon d'Or winner
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
Lionel Messi may have handed Barcelona a huge boost after reportedly agreeing to a new contract beyond this season.
The 33-year-old's current deal with the club was due to expire in June with clubs like Manchester City and Paris Saint Germain waiting to compete for his signature.
However, this latest piece of news may have quenched the uncertainties surrounding the future of the Argentine at the Catalan club according to Daily Mail quoting Spanish broadcaster TVE.
Messi's decision to remain at his boyhood club beyond this term comes with a condition as he was said to have told the club president Joan Laporta that he needs to make the team around him stronger in return.
Barca failed to win any title last season and equally suffered a terrible 8-2 Champions League humiliation in the hands of Bayern Munich.
The captain's relationship with Ronald Koeman started on a shaky note but the raging storm between them seems to have subsided as they won the Copa Del Rey earlier this month.
In December, the Nou Camp outfit stood 12 points behind La Liga leaders Atletico Madrid but fast forward to now, they have reduced their rivals' points to two with a few games left to play.
The publication reports that Messi wants assurances that Barcelona will sign quality players this summer but the club is cash-strapped as a result of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
While Barcelona great Xavi has insisted that Messi 'has not been happy on the field' over the past few seasons as he lamented his former club's failure to make the most of having the 'best footballer' in the world and in history.
Legit.ng earlier reported that Lionel Messi who was already on a brace turned down a chance to get his first hat-trick of 2021 when he allowed striker Antoine Griezmann to take a last-minute spot-kick.
The six-time Ballon d’Or winner inspired his side to a 5-2 win over Getafe on Thursday night, April 22, finding the back of the net twice in the encounter.
The Argentine put up a hattrick performance in the game and should have scored his third goal for the night - a game his side dominated throughout.
Source: Sports Brief News