Nick Mwendwa: Besieged FKF President Announces Resignation

Nick Mwendwa: Besieged FKF President Announces Resignation

  • Mwendwa announced his resignation in a statement released on Tuesday evening
  • The embattled FKF President had earlier lost a bid to block his prosecution, having been charged with four counts of fraud
  • In the statement to the National Executive Committee, Mwendwa explained his arrest had negative ramifications on his family

Nick Mwendwa has stepped down as President of the Football Kenya Federation.

Nick Mwendwa
Nick Mwendwa seems to have finally succumbed to pressure as he announced his resignation as President of the Football Kenya Federation. Photo: Nation.
Source: UGC

The besieged Mwendwa made the announcement in a carefully-worded letter on Tuesday, November 30, hours after he was freed on KSh 10 million cash bail.

In the letter to the National Executive Committee, Mwendwa maintained his innocence of any wrongdoing, claiming he was being targeted.

Vice President Doris Petra is set to take over Mwendwa's duties.

The now resigned FKF boss was on Monday, November 29, charged with four counts of fraud, after investigations from the Director of Public Prosecutions showed his office was involved in the fictitious withdrawal of public funds amounting to KSh 38 million between March 4 and May 31 this year.

Read also

Mzansi Unsurprised as Chippa United Gives Gavin Hunt the Boot

"In light of the foregoing, specifically, the frequent arrests and detentions, which have adversely affected my family and personal business and whilst I am confident I will be cleared of any wrongdoing in the end, I have today in accordance with Article 42(8) of the FKF constitution (2017)asked my Vice President Madam Doris Petra to assume all functions of the FKF president." the letter read.
"Taking into consideration that I am personally being targeted in all this, my decision, has been arrived at with the federation’s best interest at heart."

End of the road for Mwendwa

There were hints that Mwendwa would eventually succumb to pressure after his second arrest by DCI sleuths on Friday, November 26.

The government, in a sheer show of determination to corner the under-fire Mwendwa, continued with investigations into alleged fraud by the FKF boss, even after his initial file was closed.

Prior to his arrests, Mwendwa attempted to flex his muscles as FKF President, as his office wrote to FIFA to lament on the government’s interference with Kenyan football.

Read also

Super Eagles Handler Augustine Eguavoen Names the Number of New Players He Will Invite for AFCON

FIFA would then go on to call for talks between the government and the FKF, threatening Kenya with a ban if Sports CS Amina Mohammed’s newly formed caretaker committee continued to run football affairs in the country.

Despite being released on bail, Mwendwa was slapped with stringent terms which would effectively render him incapable of running the federation, even if he wanted to.

His bail terms included depositing his passport in court, not accessing the FKF offices and he was also gagged from doing interviews with media in relation to his case.