Fabio Cannavaro: 2006 Ballon d'Or Winner Admits Victor Osimhen Would Have Been Difficult to Mark

Fabio Cannavaro: 2006 Ballon d'Or Winner Admits Victor Osimhen Would Have Been Difficult to Mark

Robert Abong'o
April 23, 2024 at 3:27 PM
In this article:
Victor Osimhen logo
V. Osimhen
Napoli logoFNigeria logo
Napoli logo
Napoli
Italy
37
Italy logo
Italy
Italy
30
F. Cannavaro
-DItaly logo
  • Fabio Cannavaro has openly admitted Victor Osimhen would have been difficult to mark
  • The striker's standout performance last season has garnered interest from big European clubs
  • Chelsea, Arsenal and PSG are rumoured to be close to luring the Nigeria superstar from Napoli

PAY ATTENTION: Checkout Fixtures; Live Scores; Results and Tables section on Sports Brief and never miss out on the action ⚽️

Retired Italian football star, Fabio Cannavaro, has openly expressed his admiration for the talent of Victor Osimhen.

The 2006 Ballon d'Or winner admitted that he would have found it challenging to contain the Nigerian striker if he were still an active player today.

Osimhen, who shone brightly during the 2022-23 season, played a pivotal role in Napoli's triumph in the Italian Serie A after a long thirty-three-year wait.

Fabio Cannavaro has said Victor Osimhen would have been tough to mark. Photos: Simon Stacpoole and  Franco Romano.
Retired Italy captain, Fabio Cannavaro, has admitted Victor Osimhen would have been difficult to mark. Photos: Simon Stacpoole and Franco Romano.
Source: Getty Images

The striker's exceptional performance saw him clinch the Capocannoniere award for the top scorer in the league, along with the title Best Striker award, thanks to his record-breaking 26 goals in a single season.

Cannavaro openly admitted that, unlike his time with other Italian legends, he would have found it difficult to mark the forward due to the nature of defenders in the modern game.

"In the games with Lilian (Thuram ed.), Nesta, Maldini. I knew I could go early, because if I made a mistake I was covered. Today this happens very little. But there are attackers like Osimhen, who was certainly difficult to mark, not from this year but from last year," he said in an interview with Radio Serie A, as quoted by Tutto Napoli.

Despite his remarkable achievements in the previous season, the Super Eagles man has faced challenges maintaining his form, grappling with fitness concerns and uncertainties about his future.

As reported by All Nigeria Soccer, he has managed only 15 goals this season.

While clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal from England and Paris Saint-Germain have shown interest, Napoli has firmly set a €130 million price tag, turning down lower offers in anticipation of a potentially lucrative deal.

Steve Nicol urges Liverpool to sign Osimhen

Sports Brief also reported that Liverpool legend, Steve Nicol, urged the club to pursue Osimhen in the summer to replace Mohamed Salah.

The Egyptian international has been linked with a move to the Saudi Professional League, despite the league's offer being rejected previously.

The league's director, Michael Emenalo, is still interested in bringing Salah to the Middle East and Jurgen Klopp could be a catalyst.

Authors
Robert Abong'o photo
Robert Abong'o
Editor - Africa Team
Tags
Nigeria