Didier Drogba: Chelsea Legend Disappointed, Speaks on Dani Alves and Robinho’s Charges

Didier Drogba: Chelsea Legend Disappointed, Speaks on Dani Alves and Robinho’s Charges

Babajide Orevba
April 5, 2024 at 12:12 PM
In this article:
Didier Drogba logo
D. Drogba
-FIvory Coast logo
Dani Alves logo
D. Alves
-DBrazil logo
Robinho logo
Robinho
Bashundhara Kings logoFBrazil logo
FC Barcelona logo
FC Barcelona
Spain
36
Brazil logo
Brazil
Brazil
25
  • Didier Drogba has stated that the ordeal faced by Dani Alves and Robinho can happen to anyone
  • The Ivorian Chelsea legend is disappointed by the trials faced by the Brazilian football superstars
  • Alves was granted bail as he continues his appeal, while Robinho risks a 9-year prison sentence

Ivorian football legend, Didier Drogba, has expressed disappointment over the respective charges levelled against football superstars, Dani Alves and Robinho.

The Ivorian legend is speaking for the first time as the Brazilians continue to face legal troubles over alleged 'forceful knowledge' with women.

Both embattled players face significant legal consequences following their recent legal troubles, tarnishing their once-glowing reputations.

Didier Drogba, Dani Alves, Robinho, Chelsea, Barcelona, Brazil.
Didier Drogba decries the ordeal faced by Dani Alves and Robinho. Photo Credit: Jeff Mitchell.
Source: Getty Images

ESPN reports that Robinho risks a daunting nine-year prison sentence for an incident he was involved in in 2013, while Alves who has been released temporarily on bail, continues to appeal.

In a chat with Mundo Deportivo, Drogba expressed worry, saying it is sad to recognize it. The 46-year-old said:

“The Alves and Robinho issues? They are players who have had great races, but these episodes show that we are all human, with weaknesses.
“It’s something that can happen and it’s sad to recognize it. Life is not just about having been a great player.”

Dani Alves captured walking out of prison

Alves was released on bail after being held in custody for assault, having reportedly posted a bail bond of €1 million (£850,000).

The former Barcelona and Brazil footballer was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison last month for non-consensual intercourse with a woman at a Barcelona nightclub in 2022.

The 40-year-old former defender has been in pre-trial detention since January 2023.

Robinho barred from leaving Brazil

Sports Brief earlier reported that a judge barred Robinho from leaving Brazil while he decides whether the footballer's nine-year assault sentence, handed down by an Italian court, can be served in the South American country.

Judge Francisco Falcao "prohibited the sportsman from leaving the country. He was ordered to hand in his passport within five days," Brazil's Superior Court of Justice (STJ) said in a statement.

Falcao, a judge on the STJ, is analyzing an Italian request for the sentence against Robson de Souza to be served in his home country.

Authors
Babajide Orevba photo
Babajide Orevba
Babajide Orevba is a CAF accredited Nigerian journalist and HOD of the Local Desk with over 10 years of experience in media landscape.He studied NCE Political Science/Social Studies, AOCOED.