Netizens have always wondered, ''what does a point guard do?'' Well, each of the five basketball positions plays a distinct role, contributing to a team's success. Players in this position must have excellent ball-handling skills and techniques. Read on to discover the detailed role description for this position.
Why is a player in this particular position called a point guard? Well, this is because the player in this position is the point person for the whole team. The point guard is also the starting point of the team's offense. So, what exactly does a point guard do? Well let's find out!
What does a point guard do?
The point guard is the central position in the game. ''Is the point guard the leader?'' Yes, the point guard is the team lead on the court, responsible for the general play of his crew.
A point guard is sometimes known as ''coach on the floor'' or ''floor general,'' and the position is equivalent to a football's quarterback. He balances his play, makes fast and strategic decisions for the team, and has to perform both roles exceptionally.
What is a point guard supposed to do in basketball?
In most teams, point guards are the shortest team members. However. their role is the most pivotal in the running of the play. They must think of the team members before themselves as they organize and direct them.
A point guard must be an excellent scorer and dribbler and know how to pass the ball to the other team members effectively. This player must also be an excellent defender with expeditious speed.
These individuals frequently call out the other team members, repositioning them. The floor general alternates between offense and defense to ensure his team is at its best throughout the game.
What does a point guard do in the NBA?
Like all other basketball leagues, players in the NBA follow the same rules and regulations. The point guard is multi-faceted and multi-skilled and must have a high basketball IQ to make fast and strategic decisions as the game goes on.
NBA point guards are between 6 feet, 1 inch and 6 feet, 3 inches tall. They weigh approximately 200 pounds.
What does a point guard do in 2k22?
In the NBA 2k22, a basketball video game based on the NBA, point guards focus primarily on scoring, which is prioritized above defense and general play. The player should score and also create room for his teammates to shoot.
What is a point guard supposed to do?
We have established that the point guard must possess multiple skills to succeed. But what is the main role of a point guard? Point guards give direction to their teams and are positioned on the perimeter offense.
These players receive the ball and strategically pass it to their teammates. As they give instructions to the other team members, point guards should create scoring opportunities for them.
What does a good point guard do?
To ensure their team plays effectively, point guards must be unselfish and willing to involve everyone on the team, giving them opportunities to put out their best play. Therefore, they provide leadership to the others as they also put out the best play to achieve success. Point guards must possess these skills:
- Dribbling: Players in the point guard position must perfect the art of dribbling using their right and left hands at full speed and with their heads up so that they make a quick pass.
- Passing: Accurate passes and assists are a must-have for this position. They must know how to pass the ball past existing blocks and look out for open shots. But, before they pass, they must think and strategize.
- Speed: Swift movement allows point guards to work around the defense to find open players or opportunities to shoot the ball.
- Shooting: Although they are not the main scorers in a game, point guards who can accurately shoot the ball into the net, especially long-distance, stand a better chance at leading their teams to success.
What does a point guard do on defense?
Point guards defend on the perimeter, defending their opposing team's point guard and trying to steal the ball from them to make their play ineffective. They also force turnovers on the defense and must look for the best strike moment.
The best point guards of all time
Several basketballers have made a name for themselves as point guards. Here are some of the renowned players:
- Magic Johnson, formerly of the Los Angeles Lakers. The retired player is considered the greatest point guard of all time.
- Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors
- Walt Frazier, New York Nicks
- Sue Bird, Seattle Storm
- Chris Paul, Phoenix Suns
- John Stockton, Utah Jazz
- Lindsay Whalen, Minnesota Lynx
- Russell Westbrook, Los Angeles Lakers.
- Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns (Former player)
- Temeka Johnson, St Bonaventure Bonnies Women's Basketball
For those who have been wondering what a point guard does in basketball, this position requires selflessness and team management skills. They are an integral part of any successful team, and their success ultimately affects that of the entire team.
READ ALSO: How many steps can you take in basketball?
Sportsbrief also published an article about how many steps players can take during a basketball match.
Click on the link above to check out the article and find out the number of steps players can take, and the guidelines for a travelling foul.
Source: Sports Brief News