Roberto De Zerbi: Brighton Managaer Confirms He is Leaving Club at End of season

Roberto De Zerbi: Brighton Managaer Confirms He is Leaving Club at End of season

Isaac Darko
May 18, 2024 at 3:18 PM
In this article:
Brighton Hove Albion logo
Brighton Hove Albion
England
47
  • Roberto De Zerbi says he will leave the Premier League club Brighton by mutual consent
  • There have been reports, external linking the 44-year-old with a number of top European clubs
  • But the Italian gaffer says he does not have another managerial job lined up after his departure

PAY ATTENTION: Checkout Fixtures; Live Scores; Results and Tables section on Sports Brief and never miss out on the action ⚽️

Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi will leave the Premier League club by mutual consent after their final game of the season against Manchester United on Sunday.

De Zerbi took charge at the Amex Stadium in September 2022 and led Brighton to their highest ever top-flight finish when they came sixth in 2022-23.

Roberto De Zerbi says he will leave the Premier League club Brighton by mutual consent
Roberto De Zerbi says he will leave the Premier League club Brighton by mutual consent. Photo by Glyn Kirk.
Source: AFP

The Italian earned widespread admiration after taking Brighton into Europe for the first time in their history, advancing to the Europa League last 16 before losing to Roma 4-1 on aggregate.

But the Seagulls struggled to replicate that fine form during an injury-plagued campaign that will peter out with a mid-table finish after Sunday's match against United.

"I am very sad to be leaving Brighton, but I am very proud of what my players and staff have achieved with the support of everyone at the club and our amazing fans in the past two historical seasons," De Zerbi said via the Guardian.
"We have agreed to end my time at Brighton so that the club and I can continue to work in the way that suits each of us best, following our own ideas and visions, as well as our work and human values."

De Zerbi had been linked with replacing Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool before Feyenoord boss Arne Slot confirmed he will move to Anfield in the close-season.

The 44-year-old, hired to replace Graham Potter after his move to Chelsea, was reportedly frustrated by Brighton's philosophy of developing young players and then selling them at a significant profit.

Moises Caicedo, Leandro Trossard, Marc Cucurella, Alexis Mac Allister and Robert Sanchez were among the stars who left Brighton to join bigger clubs in De Zerbi's reign.

De Zerbi is believed to feel he could not take Brighton any further without being able to keep his best players.

"I have really enjoyed an intense and challenging two years working in the Premier League, not least competing in four major competitions this season," he said.
"Leaving now provides me with time to take a break before deciding on my future plans."

Why Alonso made the correct call to reject Liverpool

Sports Brief has also previously done a breakdown of why it made sense for Alonso to reject Liverpool and Bayern Munich.

The midfielder opted to remain at the Bay Arena for at least one more season as he continues to hone his skills as a manager.

The 2010 World Cup winner has only been in management for the last 18 months, and a move to a top club could have sunk him.

Authors
Isaac Darko photo
Isaac Darko
Isaac Darko is a La Liga, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga editor at Sports Brief with a Degree in Journalism and Communications from Ghana Institute of Journalism (2010)