Messi at 34: 10 Lesser-known Facts About the Argentina and Barcelona Player
- Lionel Messi has clocked 34 on June 24, but despite his age, the Argentine legend does not seem to be slowing down
- He remains one of the greatest footballers in history and here there are lesser known facts about the Barcelona legend
- He hails from a very humble background having been born in Rosario Argentina, but the rest is history in footballing terms
Argentine Lionel Messi who is one of the greatest footballers of all-time clocks 34 on June 24 having been born in Rosario area of Argentina in 1987.
It was gathered that his parents could not afford the $900 monthly cost to treat the disorder, but it was until he joined Barcelona that they paid that bill.
Lionel Messi tied the knots with Antonella Roccuzzo since 2017. The duo is blessed with three sons - Thiago Messi, Ciro Messi and Mateo Messi.
As he clocks 34, here are lesser known facts about the legend.
1. Lionel Messi $126 million has a net worth of around, making him one of the richest footballers
2. Barcelona’s first team director Carles Rexach signed him immediately he met the Argentine.
It was gathered that his first contract was written on a tissue paper as there was no paper available at that moment.
3. At 17, Messi made his FC Barcelona debut in 2003 in a match against RCD Espanyol.
4. He was the third youngest person ever to play for Barcelona.
5. He became a Spanish citizen in 2005 making him a citizen of two countries including Argentina.
6. Messi inherited the Barcelona jersey No.10 from iconic footballer Ronaldinho in 2008.
7. The footballer won his first FIFA World Player of the Year award in 2009.
8. The Royal Spanish Football Federation had approached the ace player to join the Spanish Football Team but he denied the offer.
9. He founded the Leo Messi Foundation helping children with the best education and healthcare facilities.
10. Messi is also the Goodwill Ambassador for United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
Meanwhile, Legit.ng earlier reported that with so much speculation about the future of Barcelona captain Lionel Messi, there is heightened tension at the Camp Nou as the Argentine’s contract enters its final week.
UK outlet Mirror are reporting that ongoing negotiations are stalling and the Spanish club are desperate to keeping the six-time Ballon d’Or winner.
Having spent his entire professional footballing career with the Catalan club, Lionel Messi developed into one of the greatest players to ever grace the game.