Football without fans is a soulless venture that deprives the sport of its emotional appeal and entertainment. However, the value of spectators in soccer goes beyond cheering and financial implications. Discover the best football fans in the world below.
Soccer is generally considered the most popular sport globally, attracting about 4 billion fans worldwide. Die-hard fans are extremely loyal to their teams in good and bad times. So let's find out about the teams with the biggest and best fanbase in the world.
Who has the best football fans in the world in 2023?
Sports fan clubs offer their teams support in many ways. They not only cheer players to boost their morale and performance. Fans can organize special events for their teams and players, e.g., anniversaries and charity events. They also generate trending hashtags on social media. Discover the 25 best football fans in the world and their team's net worth.
25. Seattle Sounders fans - Emerald City Supporters (ECS)
- Full name: Seattle Sounders Football Club
- Nickname: The Sounders, The Rave Green
- Founded: 13 November 2007
- League: Western Conference of Major League Soccer (MLS)
- Stadium: Lumen Field
- Fans club: Emerald City Supporters (ECS)
- Facebook: @SoundersFC
- Instagram: @soundersfc
- Twitter: @SoundersFC
- Seattle Sounders' net worth: $725 million
The Seattle Sounders fans in America have severely broken Major League Soccer attendance records. This confirms that the Sounders are one of the best-supported teams in the world. They usually create a great atmosphere during Major League Soccer matches.
24. Celtic supporters - The Bhoys
- Full name: Celtic Football Club
- Nickname: The Bhoys, The Celts, The Hoops
- Founded: 6 November 1887
- League: Scottish League Cup, Scottish Premiership, UEFA Europa League, Scottish League Cup, Scottish Cup, UEFA Champions League,
- Stadium: Celtic Park
- Fans club: The Celtic Trust
- Facebook: @CelticFC
- Instagram: @celticfc
- Twitter: @CelticFC
- Celtic's net worth: $4 billion
The Scottish club has plenty of history and gets great support from fans. Its affiliation with the Catholic denomination is one of the many reasons fans are so dedicated to the club. Celtic supporters were around 9 million worldwide in 2003, and they keep increasing every year. Their name, The Bhoys, dates back to the late 19th century.
23. Ghana national team supporters - Black Stars
- Full name: Ghana national team
- Nickname: Black Stars
- Founded: 1950
- League: World Cup, AFCON
- Stadium: Accra Sports Stadium
- Fans club: Black Stars
- Facebook: @ghanafaofficial
- Instagram: @blackstarsofghanafa_
- Twitter: @ghanafaofficial
- Ghana national team's net worth: €216.9 million ($229.74 million)
Ghana's national team is usually one of the best African football teams in the World Cup and AFCON tournaments. They received significant support in the 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2022 World Cup tournaments. The continent believes Ghana's national team will bring the cup to Africa someday.
22. Mexico national team supporters - The Tricolor
- Full name: Mexico national team
- Nickname: El Tri (The Tricolor)
- Founded: 9 August 1927
- League: World Cup
- Stadium: Aztec Stadium
- Fans club: The Tricolor
- Facebook: @miseleccionmxEN
- Instagram: @miseleccionmx
- Twitter: @miseleccionmxEN
- Mexico national team's net worth: $128.70 million
The Mexico national team supporters got a lot of support during the 2012 Olympic football tournament. They have proven they can play great football by consistently being ranked between the top 20, 15, and 10 teams in the FIFA World Rankings.
21. Turkey national team fans - The Crescent stars
- Full name: Turkey national team
- Nickname: Ay-Yıldızlılar (The Crescent stars)
- Founded: 1923
- League: World Cup, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa Conference League
- Stadium: Atatürk Olympic Stadium
- Fans club: The Crescent stars
- Instagram: @millitakimlar
- Turkey national team's net worth: R$3.6 billion ($475.920 million)
The Turkey national team has several passionate club fans. Turkish people are generally football lovers. Many are excited about this national team because it is a threat in Europe. Since the Word Cup was introduced in 1992, Turkey's national team has taken the 5th to 57th positions in the FIFA World Rankings.
20. Brazil national team fans - The Canary Squad
- Full name: Brazil national team
- Nickname: Seleção Canarinha (Canary Squad)
- Founded: 1914
- League: World Cup, Série A, Série B, the Série C, Série D
- Stadium: Maracanã Stadium
- Fans club: Canary Squad
- Facebook: @BrasilFootball
- Instagram: @cbf_futebol
- Twitter: @BrasilEdition
- Brazil national team's net worth: €1.45 billion ($1.54 billion)
Brazil's national team is the most successful World Cup team. Fans give it massive support, pressure to perform, and scrutinies in every major tournament. Brazil's national team has won five FIFA World Cup titles. Due to their bright yellow jerseys, fans nicknamed them Seleção Canarinha (the Canary Squad).
19. Germany national team supporters - The Team (former name)
- Full name: Germany national team
- Former nickname: Die Mannschaft (The Team)
- Founded: 1908
- Leagues: World Cup, The UEFA European Football Championship, Bundesliga, UEFA Nations League
- Stadium: Olympiastadion Berlin
- Fans club (former name): Die Mannschaft
- Facebook: @DFBTeamEN
- Instagram: @dfb_team
- Twitter: @DFB_Team_EN
- Germany national team's net worth: €1.02 billion ($1.05 billion)
The German national team supporters are proud of the many successes the team has achieved throughout history. Germans came out in large numbers to prove their dedication to their team during the women's team in the 2011 Women's World Cup. Germany's men's team no longer identifies itself with the "Die Mannschaft" nickname, which means "The Team" in French.
18. English national team fans - The 3 Lions
- Full name: English national team
- Nickname: The Three Lions
- Founded: 5 March 1870
- Leagues: World Cup, Premier League, UEFA Champions League, ICC Men's T20 World Cup
- Stadium: Wembley Stadium
- Fans club: 3 Lions
- Facebook: @EnglandTeam
- Instagram: @england
- Twitter: @englandfootbal
- English national team's net worth: $1.54 billion
The English national team fans are always putting it under pressure to shine. They have high expectations from the team, and the players usually live up to those expectations. In 1966, England used their home advantage to win their first and only World Cup title. Fans hope they will grab this title more in the future.
17. Croatia national team supporters - Checkered Ones
- Full name: Croatia national team
- Nicknames: Vatreni (Blazers), Kockasti (Checkered Ones)
- Founded: 13 June 1912.
- Leagues: World Cup, European Championship,
- Stadium: Stadion Maksimir
- Fans club: Checkered Ones
- Instagram: @croatia_national_football_team
- Twitter: @CroatiaFooty
- Croatia national team's net worth: €377 million ($399.60 million)
The Croatian national team attracts many supporters in the World Cup tournaments. Croatia is often one of the smallest countries competing in the tournament but always outshines big countries. They have collected three World Cup medals, two bronze (1998, 2022) and one silver (2018).
16. Argentina national team supporters - Barras bravas
- Full name: Argentina national team
- Nickname: La Albiceleste (The White and Sky Blue)
- Founded: 20 June 1902
- Leagues: World Cup, FIFA Confederations Cup, Copa Libertadores, UEFA Super Cup, Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana
- Stadium: Estadio Mâs Monumental (Buenos Aires)
- Fans club: Barras bravas
- Facebook: @Affbd
- Twitter: @Argentina
- Instagram: @afaseleccion
- Argentina national team's net worth: $978.6 million
Argentina is also a successful World Cup team. They are Brazil's biggest rivals in World Cup tournaments. The amount of sports talent in these two nations attracts millions worldwide to support them in World Cup tournaments. Argentina national team's fans call themselves the Barras bravas and are responsible for the breath-taking atmospheres and unique fan culture which have characterized Argentinian football matches.
15. Liverpool supporters - Kopites / Kop
- Full name: Liverpool Football Club
- Nickname: The Reds
- Founded: 3 June 1892
- League: English Premier League
- Stadium: Anfield
- Fans club: OLSCs
- Facebook: @LiverpoolFC
- Instagram: @liverpoolfc
- Twitter: @LFC
- Liverpool's net worth: £3.6 billion ($4.45 billion)
Liverpool fans, the Kopites, unanimously shout "You'll Never Walk Alone" to players during every home game. They also sing the club anthem to prove they are loyal supporters. Liverpool has won 19 League titles. Only Manchester United have more League titles than them. The team has over 300 Official LFC Supporters Clubs (OLSCs) in 100 countries worldwide. The biggest rivals of the Kopites are Everton fans.
14. Galatasaray fans - The ultrAslans
- Full name: Galatasaray Spor Kulübü
- Nicknames: GS, Gala, Cimbom
- Founded: 20 October 1905
- Leagues: Süper Lig, Turkish Cup
- Stadium: Nef Stadyumu
- Fans club: ultrAslan
- Facebook: @Galatasaray
- Instagram: @galatasaray
- Twitter: @GalatasaraySK
- Galatasaray's net worth: €275 million ($294 million)
Galatasaray fans are highly committed to their team. It is the only Turkish club to hit No. 1 on the IFFHS World Rankings. Moreover, the Galatasaray team is Europe's 60th most successful club and the best Turkish club of the 20th century.
13. Italy national team supporters - Tifosi
- Full name: Italy national team
- Nickname: Gli Azzurri (The Blues)
- Founded: 1898
- Leagues: World Cup, UEFA European Football Championship, UEFA Nations League, FIFA Confederations Cup
- Stadium: Stadio Olimpico
- Fans club: Tifosi
- Facebook: @NazionaleCalcio
- Instagram: @azzurri
- Twitter: @Azzurri_En
- Italy national team's net worth: €70 million ($74.2 million)
Italy's national team fans create an excellent atmosphere for the club. The world is usually in awe when they play because they are among the most successful national teams in World Cup history. Italy's national team has won four World Cup titles (1934, 1938, 1982, 2006), just one fewer than Brazil. They have played in 18 out of the 22 World Cup tournaments and reached six finals, a fourth place, and a third place.
12. Spain national team fans - The Fury ones
- Full name: Spain national team
- Nickname: La Furia Roja (The Fury one)
- Founded: 1920
- Leagues: World Cup, The UEFA European Football Championship
- Stadium: Santiago Bernabéu Stadium
- Fans club: La Furia Roja
- Facebook: @SeFutbol
- Instagram: @sefutbol
- Twitter: @SEFutbol
- Spain national team's net worth: €1.2 billion ($1.23 billion)
Spain's national team is also among the top World Cup teams. Its fans show massive support online when they are not in the country to attend the matches. Spain is among the eight national teams to have won the World Cup. They have participated in 16 of the 22 FIFA World Cups and have consistently qualified since 1978. The team's nicknames are La Roja (The Red One), La Furia Roja (The Red Fury), or La Furia Española (The Spanish Fury).
11. Juventus supporters - JOFC
- Full name: Juventus Football Club
- Nickname: I Gobbi (The Hunchbacks)
- Founded: 1 November 1897
- Leagues: UEFA Champions League, Serie A
- Stadium: Allianz Stadium
- Fans club: Juventus Official Fan Clubs (JOFC)
- Facebook: @Juventus
- Instagram: @juventus
- Twitter: @juventusfc
- Juventus' net worth: €2.3 billion ($2.45 billion)
Juventus fans are some of the world's most dedicated football fan bases. It is one of Italy's oldest and most successful clubs and has more Italian league championships than any other team. Juventus FC sets a record for its competitors with 36 official league titles and 14 Coppa Italia titles.
10. Newcastle United supporters - The Magpies
- Full name: Newcastle United Football Club
- Nickname: The Magpies
- Founded: 9 December 1892
- League: English Premier League
- Stadium: St. James' Park
- Fans club: Newcastle United Supporters Trust
- Twitter: @NUFC
- Instagram: @nufctrust
- Facebook: @newcastleunited
- Newcastle United's net worth: $327 million
Newcastle United is one of the oldest teams in England, formed in the late 19th century. The Magpies have an official supporters club called Newcastle United Supporters Trust, founded in 2008.
9. Hamburger SV supporters - The Rothosen
- Full name: Hamburger Sport-Verein football club
- Nickname: Die Rothosen (Red Shorts)
- Founded: 29 September 1887
- League: Bundesliga
- Stadium: Volksparkstadion
- Fans club: HSV fan club (OFC)
- Twitter: @HSV_English
- Instagram: @hsv
- Facebook: @HSV
- Hamburger SV's net worth: $326 million
Hamburger SV's Rothosen fanbase comes ninth on this list of best football team fans worldwide. This is one of the most popular teams in the Bundesliga. Being part of its official fan club has several benefits, including early access to tickets and signed merchandise. In the 2020/21 season, over 800,000 HSV fans attended matches at the Volksparkstadion stadium.
8. Borussia Mönchengladbach fans - The Foals
- Full name: Borussia Mönchengladbach
- Nickname: Die Borussen
- Founded: 1 August 1900
- League: Bundesliga
- Stadium: Borussia-Park
- Fans club: Borussia Mönchengladbach fan club
- Twitter: @borussia_en
- Instagram: @borussia
- Facebook: @borussia.global
- Borussia Mönchengladbach net worth: $258 million
Inside the life of Lewis Hamilton: exploring his 2023 net worth, salary, cars, and luxury homes
Borussia Mönchengladbach is another Bundesliga team with the best fans in the world of football. The club has a vibrant and supportive fanbase called the Foals. Mönchengladbach's fans raised €40000 for charitable causes during the coronavirus pandemic. You can join the Mönchengladbach fan club to receive the latest information about the team.
7. Arsenal supporters - The Gooners
- Full name: Arsenal football club
- Nickname: The Gunners
- Founded: 1886
- League: English Premier League
- Stadium: The Emirates Stadium
- Fans club: Arsenal Supporters Club
- Twitter: @Arsenal
- Instagram: @arsenal
- Facebook: @Arsenal
- Arsenal's net worth: $2.88 billion
Over 25 million people worldwide support Arsenal because it is among the most successful teams in England. Arsenal fans call themselves the Gooners and are among the top football fans in the world. These fans named themselves after the team's nickname, "the Gunners." The Gooners have an official website for Arsenal fans to get the latest news about the club.
6. FC Schalke 04 fans - The Leidenschaft
- Full name: Fußballclub Gelsenkirchen-Schalke 04 e. V (Schalke 04)
- Nickname: Die Knappen (The Miners)
- Founded: 1904
- League: Bundesliga
- Stadium: VELTINS-Arena
- Fans club: Schalke 04 Supporters Club
- Twitter: @s04_en
- Instagram: @s04
- Facebook: @S04.en
- Schalke 04 net worth: $683 million
Founded in 1904, FC Schalke 04 has grown in leaps and bounds to become of the largest teams in Germany in membership. It has an official fan club association and over 1,500 supporters clubs globally. FC Schalke fans call themselves the Leidenschaft. The name directly means "passion," but also has the word "Leiden," which means "to suffer."
5. Bayern Munich fans - The Bavarians
- Full name: Fußball-Club Bayern München e. V. (Bayern Munich)
- Nickname: Die Bayern (The Bavarians)
- Founded: 27 February 1900
- League: Bundesliga
- Stadium: Allianz Arena
- Fans club: FC Bayern München Fans Club
- Twitter: @FCBayernEN
- Instagram: @fcbayern
- Facebook: @fcbayern.en
- Bayern Munich's net worth: $963 million
Bayern is Germany's most famous football team and among the most successful worldwide. Its passionate fanbase ranks fifth in the list of best soccer fans worldwide. The Bavarians fanbase has over 200,000 official members. You can register with Bayern Munich's online fan club.
4. Real Madrid supporters - The Madridistas
- Full name: Real Madrid Club de Fútbol
- Nickname: Los Blancos
- Founded: 6 March 1902
- League: La Liga
- Stadium: Santiago Bernabeu
- Fans club: Real Madrid supporters club
- Twitter: @realmadriden
- Instagram: @realmadrid
- Facebook: @RealMadrid
- Real Madrid's net worth: $5.1 billion
Fourth on the list is Real Madrid, a 13-time Champions League winner (record-holder). The team has over 1,800 fan clubs with over 170 million members. There are about 242 million Real Madrid followers on social media. The Los Blancos fans are known as the Madridistas. Register for the Madridistas membership as an official Real Madrid fan club member.
3. FC Barcelona supporters - The Culers
- Full name: Futbol Club Barcelona
- Nickname: The Culers
- Founded: 29 November 1899
- League: La Liga
- Stadium: Camp Nou
- Fans club: FC Barcelona Supporters Club
- Twitter: @FCBarcelona
- Instagram: @fcbarcelona
- Facebook: @fcbarcelona
- FC Barcelona net worth: $4.76 billion
Barcelona fans, the Culers, are among the most passionate globally. They protect the Catalan culture and heritage and believe in the team's motto, 'Mes Que Un Club' (more than a club). Barca ranks among the most successful teams on earth and has featured some of the world's greatest players like Lionel Messi and Ronaldinho. The club has over 250 million followers on social media. You can do Culers Membership registration online.
2. Manchester United supporters - The Red Devils
- Full name: Manchester United Football Club
- Nickname: The Red Devils
- Founded: 1878
- League: English Premier League
- Stadium: Old Trafford
- Fans club: Manchester United Supporters Club
- Twitter: @ManUtd
- Instagram: @manchesterunited
- Facebook: @manchesterunited
- Manchester United's net worth: $4.2 billion
The Red Devils have over 350 million fans worldwide. The club has over 200 official supporters clubs in 24 countries and more than 160 million followers on social media. Man-U has a rich history and is among the most successful teams in England. You can join the United family online and enjoy many benefits.
1. Borussia Dortmund supporters - BVB
- Full name: Ballspielverein Borussia 09 e.V (Borussia Dortmund)
- Nickname: BVB, the Ultras
- Founded: 19 December 1909
- League: Bundesliga
- Stadium: Signal Iduna Park
- Fans club: Borussia Dortmund Supporters Club
- Twitter: @BlackYellow
- Instagram: @bvb09
- Facebook: @BVB
- Borussia Dortmund's net worth: $1.9 billion
The German giants top the list of the best football fans in international soccer. Dortmund's passionate fans call themselves the Ultras or BVB and associate themselves with the traditional 'Yellow Wall' at Signal Iduna Park. The fan base has over 40 million die-hard BVB fans.
Which football club fans are the best?
- Borussia Dortmund supporters - BVB
- Manchester United supporters - The Red Devils
- FC Barcelona supporters - The Culers
- Real Madrid supporters - The Madridistas
- Bayern Munich fans - The Bavarians
- FC Schalke 04 fans - The Leidenschaft
- Arsenal supporters - The Gooners
- Borussia Mönchengladbach fans - The Foals
- Hamburger SV supporters - The Rothosen
- Newcastle United supporters - The Magpies
- Juventus supporters - JOFC
- Spain national team fans - The Fury ones
- Italy national team supporters - Tifosi
- Galatasaray fans - The ultrAslans
- Liverpool supporters - Kopites / Kop
- Argentina national team supporters - Barras bravas
- Croatia national team supporters - Checkered Ones
- English national team fans - The 3 Lions
- Germany national team supporters - The Team (former name)
- Brazil national team fans - The Canary Squad
- Turkey national team fans - The Crescent stars
- Mexico national team supporters - The Tricolor
- Ghana national team supporters - Black Stars
- Celtic supporters - The Bhoys
- Seattle Sounders fans - Emerald City Supporters (ECS)
Which football club has the best fans in the world?
Real Madrid has the best fans in the world. The club is a major force in Spanish and European football and has the largest social media fan base of about 242 million.
Which football club has the most fans in the world in 2023?
Real Madrid has a combined social media following of around 242 million. It is the most-followed football club and team in the world in 2023.
Who has the best-behaved football fans in the world?
Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United, and Arsenal have the best-behaved football fans in the world.
Which country has the best football fans in the world?
Brazil has the most people interested in soccer worldwide. Other countries where most football fans come from are Germany, Hungary, and Russia.
Which are the best football fans in England?
Manchester United has the best football fans in the Premier League. They became popular worldwide during Alex Ferguson's 26-year reign. He helped Man United win 13 Premier League titles. Because of them, the English Premier League attracted over 3.2 billion viewers in the 2018-19 season (about 40% of the world's population).
Some of the best football fans in the world have official websites, while others do not. Those with official websites allow anyone worldwide to register. You will be among the first to receive the latest news about that club via the email you use during registration. Registering into some football fan clubs is free, while others charge a subscription.
READ ALSO: The top 10 richest African footballers and their net worth
Sportsbrief.com also listed the top 10 richest African footballers and their net worth. The continent has produced some of the best players in the game's history.
African players make a fortune playing for international clubs, especially the world's best teams. Since these opportunities are rare, they give their best.