Moroka Swallows players are the 14th in this year’s Premier Soccer League. There is a lot of joy in the air amidst the Nedbank Cup competition. Join us as we learn more about this very successful football team.
Recently, David Mogasha, their chairman, confirmed that they are more than willing to settle for the defender Pentye Zulu to act as a direct replacement to Thobo Matlaba, who resigned from MK Swallows a while back. Their most recent formation is 4-3-3, attacking with Musonda as the CF.
Moroka Swallow’s profile summary
- Full name: Moroka Swallows FC
- Nickname: the Dube Birds, Amaswaiswai, The Beautiful birds
- Management: David Mogasha
- Founded: January 1947
- Address: 22 wellington Road, 2183 Parktown South Africa.
- Kits: home colour is white, away colour is a stripe of red kits.
- League: Dstv Premium
- League position: 6th
- Coach: Dylan Kerr
- Captain: Lebohang Mokoena a.k.a 'Chesseboy.'
- Top Scorer(All time): Thomas Hongware-73
- Top scorer(current): Ruzaigh Gamildien and Lebohang Mahlatsi
- FIFA ranking: 1307
- Stadium: Volkswagen Dobonsville. Capacity 24,000 seats
- Kit sponsors and manufacturers: Adidas, Kappa, Vodacom
- Foreign player: 11%, 4 players.
- Squad size: 36
- Average age: 27
- Instagram: @morokaswallows
- Market value: Approximately $5.88 million
Moroka Swallows owner
The owner and chairman is David Mogashoa. He is a South African businessman well known to be behind the revival of the Soweto football giants. Despite being in a financial struggle, he purchased another franchise club because he was determined to be back in the Premier Soccer League competitions.
Moroka Swallows history
The club was founded in 1947 and now stands as a high ranking and professional football club. It is based in the Heart of Soweto, Johannesburg. It is among the few clubs to ever play for the Premier Soccer League. They have played in the league for over 5 decades.
It was founded in the 1940s by three individuals, namely Ishmael Lesolang, Johnny Kubheka and Strike Makgatha. The name Moroka means 'rain maker' in Setswana. They cultivated their most solid achievements during the early 1950s and 60s, such as the South African League title.
They registered as a public company in 1971 and received their first sponsorship by Teljoy. They won 4 medals between 1982 and 1992. The club purchased a different franchise of the National First Division team Maccabi, which enabled them to compete in the 2020-2021 South African Premier Division.
Moroka Swallows FC trophies
- The team won the 2019-2020 National First Division.
- They also competed in the South African Premier League Division in the 2020-2021 season and finished 6th in line.
- This spearheaded the qualification for the 2021 MTN 8 cup
- They won the South African Soccer League in 1965
- The Mainstay cup in 1983, the Bob save super bowl cup in 1989 and 1991
- They scooped the Sales House cup in 1978
- They won the ABSA cup in 2004
- The Nedbank Cup in 2009
- MTN 8 cup in 2012
- The National First Division in the 2019-2020 season
Moroka Swallows FC achievements
Their record stands as follows;
- Most goals: Thomas Hongware, 73
- Most capped player: Levato Chebangu, 13
- Best recorded victory: 8-0 Vs African Wanderers in 1991
- Most starts: Andres Mpondo, 395
- Recorded defeat: (2-6 Vs Hellenic in 1985’s Sales House Cup
- Their premier league record for 2020/2021 – 6th
Moroka Swallows squad
The team’s first squad is as follows:
1. Lutho Mbanjwa
2. Virgiel Vries
3. Sanele Tshabalala
1. Sipho Sibiya
2. Thapelo Thilo
3. Phehello Makoena
4. Vusumuzi Ntikinga
1. Tlakusani Mthethwa
2. Vincent Sithole
3. Mokeri Senwamadi
4. Joseph Banyani
5. Given Thibedi
6. 6. Ayanda Rorwara
1. Nathaniel Tladi N
2. Zanempi Mhethula
3. Joshua Sauls
4. Simphiwe Tshabalala
Moroka Swallows management
The football club has recently been managed by Brandon Truter, who has been the manager since October 2019. The current Managing Director and Chairman for Moroka Swallows are David Mogasha. Their CEO is Sipho Xulu. Their head coach is Dylan Kerr.
Moroka Swallows net worth
According to statistics, the football club has an estimated net worth of $5.88 million.
Moroka Swallows world ranking
Moroka Swallows ranks at number 1307 worldwide. Their continental ranking stands at 186, and they are number 16 in the national rankings.
Moroka Swallows legends
Brad Norman made a heavy impact on the club when he became the first South African to play in Paraguay. Sibubiso Khumalo and Warren Lewis are other great legends of the Moroka Swallows football club.
Moroka Swallows stadium
Their home ground is based at the Dobsonville Stadium in Soweto. It has a capacity of 24,000 people. They also host their matches in Arenas stadium and the Germiston Stadium.
Moroka Swallows coach
Swallows FC had approved the appointment of Dylan Kerr as their new manager, with the Englishman tasked with salvaging the club's 2021/22 season.
Moroka Swallows captain
The South African Giant Club's players are led on and off the pitch by their captain Lebohang 'Cheeseboy' Mokoena. Lebohang is an all time favourite on the field. The player is known for his remarkable dribbling abilities and his speed.
Moroka Swallows Instagram
The club has a social media page on Instagram known as @morokaswallows. As of 15 February 2022 they have amassed 11k followers. On their Facebook profile, they have 58k followers.
How many draws has Swallows had?
It is unsurprising who drew the most games, given Swallows FC's new 30-game PSL season record of 20 in 2020-21. In 2021, they drew 25 of their 40 games.
Where is Moroka Swallows located?
It is a professional football team headquartered in Soweto, Johannesburg, Gauteng province.
The Moroka Swallows players are currently in the 14th position in the Dstv premiership league, the top-flight football league in South Africa. This is a team to look out for as they are fast rising to football stardom.
READ ALSO: Kano Pillars players, owner, stadium, coach, trophies, world rankings
Sportsbrief.com recently published about the Kano Pillars players. Not many teams in the world have their names in the Guinness World Records. However, Kano Pillars' players and fans are proud of their team's presence in the records books.
The team was founded in 1990 and since then they have been creating waves in the soccer scene. Find out more fascinating facts about the Kano Pillars football team here!