Players and Names of Teams in the Dstv Compact Cup Revealed to Howls From Fans
- The not-so-hotly anticipated DStv Compact Cup is around the corner, with squads and team names being revealed
- Running from 22 to 29 January, the competition is a filler as the Bafana-less 2021 African Cup of Nations concludes in Cameroon
- It continues to divide opinions of football fans, with many seeing it as unnecessary and likely to result in costly injuries for teams
The divisive DStv Compact Cup is almost here, with the squads and team names revealed.
The gimmicky competition is of a similar vein to the Carling Black Label Cup involving Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates, in that fans get to vote for what they want. The twist, however, is that they got to select players they want to see from all 16 clubs in DSTV Premiership included into four select squads, like the NBA All-Star Game.
In detail, these clubs are divided into four regional groups, two from the coast and two that are inland, in line with club geographical location:
• Coastal Group 1: AmaZulu FC; Golden Arrows FC; Maritzburg United; Royal AM FC
• Coastal Group 2: Cape Town City FC; Stellenbosch FC; Chippa United FC; Baroka FC (exception)
• Inland Group 1: SuperSport Utd; Mamelodi Sundowns FC; Marumo Gallants; Sekhukhune Utd
• Inland Group 2: Orlando Pirates FC; Kaizer Chiefs FC; Swallows FC; TS Galaxy FC
The team names for these were revealed on the PSL' website, also drawn from a lot into which the public could throw its chosen name. They are Amabutho (Coastal 1), Coastal United (Coastal 2), Dinaledi FC (Inland 1) and Warriors FC (Inland 2).
As reported by The South African, Amabutho will be coached by Ernst Middendorp, Steve Barker will head Coastal United, Dan Malesela will mentor Dinaledi FC, with Dylan Kerr rounding things off with Warriors FC.
Naturally, player, coach and team name selection brought a variety of different opinions.
Tlhogi Mokgatle said:
"How did Olisa Ndah get selected to participate in this cup, when he isn't even in South Africa right now?"
Nathi Msimanga said:
"Since all Sundowns players are available, let's rather use Sundowns for Joburg squad"
P-Mash St said:
"I really don't see the important of this competition because it's just here to put our player on injuries"
Wayde Lekay dominates DStv Premiership Goal of the Month list
The DStv Premiership Goals of the Month for December have been announced.
As reported on Sports Brief, the Premier Soccer League released the list of 10 goals on its website, allowing fans to vote for their favourite net burster which closed out 2021.
The winning goal will be revealed together with the Player and Coach of the Month on the PSL site as soon as soccer fans' votes have been counted.
Source: Sports Brief News