Former World Boxing Champion Anthony Joshua Breaks Down As Search for Next Opponent Continues

Former World Boxing Champion Anthony Joshua Breaks Down As Search for Next Opponent Continues

  • Anthony Joshua is not happy with his current status, having lost all his belts to Oleksandr Usyk of Ukraine
  • The British boxer, who is of Nigerian descent, stated it hurt not to be a champion but added he would be back
  • AJ disclosed that a whole lot of issues are going on outside the sport, which have made boxing complicated for him

Former two-time world heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua has decried what it means not to be a champion.

The 33-year-old lost his rematch to Oleksandr Usyk in August and remains without a belt, having lost his titles to the Ukrainian earlier in the year.

He has since been out of action as his promoter, Eddie Hearn continues searching for a formidable opponent to help rebuild his career.

Anthony Joshua, Boxing, Oleksandr Usyk, Heavyweight Boxing, what it means, champion, title, belt, personal issues
Anthony Joshua says it hurts not to be a champion, after losing the belts to Oleksander Usyk. Photo: Khalid Alhaj.
Source: Getty Images

The Briton has been quiet about when he will return to the ring, especially after talks between himself and Tyson Fury broke down.

Read also

Jose Mourinho sends brutal message to Australia manager for trying to rush 18-year old into World Cup

Exciting feature: Check out news exactly for YOU ➡️ find "Recommended for you" block and enjoy!

In a recent interview with Matchroom Boxing, AJ disclosed that he is still bitter about his losses to Usyk but gave assurances he was rebuilding.

Joshua said via SportSkeeda:

“I’m not a champion and it’s hurting a lot. I’m in the gym, rebuilding and restructuring, and everything on what to do in and out of the ring. There’s a lot going on outside the ring in my life that’s making boxing complicated,” said Joshua.

AJ and the Gypsy King, Tyson Fury have been in discussions over a headline clash for years, but these never came to fruition.

Hearn speaks on AJ's return

Meanwhile, Sports Brief earlier reported that Eddie Hearn has disclosed that there are plans to get the Briton back into the ring, as Tyson Fury publicly set deadlines for a fight between them to happen by December.

Read also

Sadio Mane: Relief as German club Bayern Munich release statement over player's injury status

All efforts to get Joshua to sign the contract stalled and the deal was never finalised, and Fury will now go on to defend his title against Derek Chisora at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on December 3.

According to Hearn, the inability to seal a bout with the Gypsy King has affected the 33-year-old, and now AJ will have to wait until next year for the blockbuster fight.

Source: Sports Brief News