Kelvin Kiptum: Forensic Experts Piece Together Last Known Movements of Marathon World Record Holder

Kelvin Kiptum: Forensic Experts Piece Together Last Known Movements of Marathon World Record Holder

Robert Abong'o
updated at February 21, 2024 at 9:08 AM
  • Forensic experts from the DCI are working on Kelvin Kiptum's case
  • The world marathon record holder and his coach died in a car crash
  • They are said to have visited three locations before their tragic demise

In a detailed operation to map out the events preceding a tragic incident, forensic experts from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) have carefully reconstructed the last known movements of Kelvin Kiptum.

The marathon world record holder perished in a fatal road accident on the night of February 11.

Investigative efforts were intensified just hours before the autopsy, providing new insights into the marathoner's final activities.

World Marathon record-holder Kelvin Kiptum perished in a car accident. road accident on the night of February. Photo: AFP.
Kelvin Kiptum died in a fatal road accident on the night of February 11. Photo: AFP.
Source: Getty Images

The investigative team, led by Director Martin Nyuguto, embarked on a thorough journey across Nairobi to trace Kiptum's steps.

Their investigation led them to three distinct locations where the athlete, along with his coach Gervais Hakizimana, who also lost his life in the accident, and Sharon Chepkurui, the accident's only survivor, were last seen.

The probe was initiated following demands by Kiptum’s father, Samson Cheruiyot, for a thorough investigation into the crash. Additionally, police interrogated four individuals who had visited Kiptum and his wife, Asenette, for a business meeting related to his athletic career, just four days before his demise.

The investigation uncovered that Kiptum's final evening involved visits to the Talex Inn Restaurant Pub and Car Wash on the Iten-Eldoret road, The Well Irish Pub and Restaurant at Rupa Mall, and The Grand Miarmir Guest House off the Eldoret-Nairobi highway as reported by Standard.

At the Grand Miarmir, it was established that Kiptum’s Toyota Premio, with the license plate KDL 566F, arrived at 21:12 pm and left at 22:25 pm. Staff members reported that the trio had their dinner there before leaving in the vehicle that would later be involved in the catastrophic accident.

Their route took them towards Kiptum’s training base in Chepkorio, Elgeyo Marakwet, with the accident occurring near Flax junction, roughly 36 kilometres from their last stop. The timeline between 21:00 pm and the accident at 23:15 pm had been a critical focus of the investigation.

The vehicle is said to have struck a tree after veering off the road at high speed, as reported by Nation.

A report from the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) indicated that the vehicle had no mechanical issues before the accident, a finding supported by Peter Mulinge, the Elgeyo Marakwet County police commander.

Sole survivor Sharon recounts tragic accident

Sports Brief reported that the only survivor of the devastating crash that killed Kiptum came forward to share her harrowing experience.

Sharon, aged 24, said she desperately tried to warn Kiptum as their car suddenly veered off the road.

She had remained out of the public eye until Wednesday, February 14, when she provided a statement to the investigating police officers.

Robert Abong'o photo
Robert Abong'o
Editor - Africa Team