Moroka Swallows Confirms That Stalwart Vuyo Mere Was Fired by the Club
- It has emerged that former Moroka Swallows player Vuyo Mere was sacked by the club for insubordination
- This was after the stalwart suddenly departed the Dube Birds for TS Galaxy without explanation earlier this month
- It turns out that Mere led a player revolt after a the club handed out a handbook detailing how players were to conduct themselves
It has emerged that former Moroka Swallows stalwart Vuyo Mere was shown the door by the Dube Birds.
Mere abruptly left the club last weekend during the open January transfer window, rocking up at Mpumalanga club TS Galaxy. The 37-year-old was expected to retire at the end of the season in the colours of Swallows, having helped them regain top-flight status a couple of seasons ago.
However, it has emerged through The Citizen that Mere was fired for alleged insubordination, two days after the Sunday World confirmed his unveiling as a Galaxy player. According to the latter, the dismissal was confirmed after Mere appeared be a club disciplinary committee.
As per The Citizen, he is believed to have led a player revolt after the club issued them a handbook detailing how the were to conduct themselves. He is said to have been unhappy with some of the requirements, deeming them as regressive to the squad.
Swallows official Sipho Xulue said:
“He did not agree with certain things in our handbook and he was taken to a hearing. The club felt that he was influencing players otherwise and as a result, he was destabilising the team. A decision was taken to terminate his contract and he appealed.
"Whilst the club was considering his appeal, he changed his mind and requested his clearance from the club and that’s how he left and joined TS Galaxy.”
Mere had not yet commented on the matter.
Domestic violence charges withdrawn against Mothobi Mvala
Mamelodi Sundowns star Mothobi Mvala will not be prosecuted for domestic violence after the charges were dropped against the midfielder.
As reported on Sports Brief, Mvala was charged in December 2021 by his fiancée and mother of his children Palesa Botipe and was expected to appear in court during January 2022.
The South African reported that the charges were dropped after the families of the couple sat down together with them to help resolve the issue.
Source: Sports Brief News