Son Heung Min Moves on From World Cup Heartbreak with Bold Statement

Son Heung Min Moves on From World Cup Heartbreak with Bold Statement

  • South Korea were dumped out of the 2022 World Cup by Brazil on Monday night
  • Superstars like Heung-Min Son have now shifted focus back to domestic football
  • Son injured his nose prior to the break, but is still fit enough to continue playing
  • The 30-year-old insists he is still available for Tottenham on Boxing Day fixtures

Son Heung Min has handed Tottenham Hotspur a major boost, after confirming he will be available for the North London side for the Boxing Day fixtures.

Last month, the South Korean suffered a nose injury during Tottenham’s 2-1 win over Marseille, and there were fears he would not be fit enough to represent South Korea at the World Cup.

That was not the case however, as Son represented the Tigers of Asia in Group H as they advanced to the last 16 as runners-up.

Read also

Belgium eyeing Vincent Kompany as new boss to replace Martinez

Son Heung Min, Tottenham, Antonio Conte, South Korea, World Cup.
Heung-min Son and head coach Antonio Conte embrace during the UEFA Champions League group D match between Tottenham Hotspur and Eintracht Frankfurt. Photo by Vincent Mignott.
Source: Getty Images

Their dream World Cup run was cut short on Monday however, after they succumbed to a 4-0 drubbing by tournament favourites Brazil.

Exciting feature: Check out news exactly for YOU ➡️ find "Recommended for you" block and enjoy!

In the wake of the defeat, the former Bayer Leverkusen man spoke to the Korean newspaper JoongAng Daily, where he revealed he had plans to get back into club football action as soon as possible.

“I was born to play football and I am a professional footballer, so it’s only right to continue to play, even with my mask on,” he said as quoted by Daily Mail.

Son admitted he was hoping for a speedy recovery and to play without a mask, but said that was a discussion to have with his doctor.

Son, who was clearly still hurting from the World Cup defeat to Brazil, insisted he was proud to have represented his country at the greatest stage in world football.

Read also

Sadio Mane: Senegal superstar sends huge message to teammates after exit from 2022 FIFA World Cup

Fixtures for Tottenham Hotspur

Meanwhile, Tottenham’s first fixture, once club football returns after the Mundial, is a tricky London derby against Brentford.

This will be followed by another daunting game against Unai Emery’s Aston Villa, before a visit to Crystal Palace.

Brazil achieve 2 milestones

Elsewhere, Sports Brief reported on the two unique records Brazil achieved after their win over South Korea.

Brazil coach Tite brought on the nation's third-choice goalkeeper, Weverton Pereira da Silva in the 80th minute in the place of Liverpool man Alisson.

This mean the Selecao became the first nation to use all 26 players from the squad list in the same World Cup tournament.

Source: SportsBrief.com