- The Best FIFA Football Awards 2021 will hold in January next year and the world’s football governing body has released a ten-man shortlist
- Among the nominees are the ‘ever present’ Argentine superstar Lionel Messi and Portuguese striker Cristiano Ronaldo
- Chelsea stars Jorginho as well as N’Golo Kante are also on the shortlist, but they all have to contend with last year's winner Robert Lewandowski
The world’s football governing body FIFA has revealed the candidates shortlisted for The Best FIFA Football Awards 2021, the winner of which will be revealed at an online ceremony on January 17, 2022.
A ten-man list of nominees was unveiled on FIFA website which include Barcelona legend Lionel Messi and Manchester United striker Cristiano Ronaldo.
The pair have dominated both the FIFA awards and Ballon d’Or in the last one and a half decade, but that of this year will be tightly contested with Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski also on the list.
Although he was denied the Ballon d’Or last year as the award did not hold due to the spread of the pandemic, Polish star Lewandowski won the Fifa Best Player award last year as he will look forward to winning it again.
Chelsea stars Jorgino as well as N’Golo Kante who both led the Blues to the prestigious Champions League title earlier in the year are also nominated according to Marca.
- Karim Benzema (France / Real Madrid CF)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium / Manchester City FC)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal / Juventus FC / Manchester United FC)
- Erling Haaland (Norway / BV Borussia 09 Dortmund)
- Jorginho (Italy / Chelsea FC)
- N’Golo Kanté (France / Chelsea FC)
- Robert Lewandowski (Poland / FC Bayern München)
- Kylian Mbappé (France / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Lionel Messi (Argentina / FC Barcelona / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Neymar (Brazil / Paris Saint-Germain)
Leaked sheet shows Lewandowski will win the Ballon d’Or
A sheet has leaked online showing Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski as the winner of the 2021 Ballon d’Or ahead of 25 other superstars.
The award ceremony for this year will hold on November 29 as that of last year was cancelled due to the spread of the pandemic.
Lionel Messi won the 2019 edition of the award after beating Liverpool’s Virgil van Dijk and Cristiano Ronaldo to the prestigious award.
Source: Sports Brief News