Manchester United forced to 3-3 draw at Old Trafford by Everton in EPL tie

Manchester United forced to 3-3 draw at Old Trafford by Everton in EPL tie

- Dominic Calvert Lewin scored a dramatic late equalizer as Everton fought to a draw against Manchester United

- The home side will have themselves to blame after initially squandering a two-goal lead

- Everton clawed back early in the second half but United pegged them again thanks to Scott McTominay

PAY ATTENTION: Join Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Manchester United blew a chance to go level on points with Manchester City after conceding a dramatic late equaliser against Everton at Old Trafford.

Everton stage dramatic late equaliser as Man United squander chance to go level with City
Calvert Lewin's late goal denied Manchester United all three points against Everton. Photo by Alex Pantling
Source: Getty Images

United will only have themselves to blame after initially squandering a two-goal lead early in the second half.

Coming from the back of a 9-0 mauling of Southampton, the Red Devils were full of confidence coming into the game and dominated possession early on.

They eventually made their dominance count in the 24th minute courtesy of Edinson Cavani who once again showed Solskjaer why he should be a regular starter.

The Uruguayan rose highest to head home Marcus Rashford’s cross for his second goal in as many games as United took control of the game.

Everton struggled to find their footing in the first half and chances were hard to come by for the Toffees.

One major setback for the home side came late in the first half when Paul Pogba had to be taken off with what looked like a stubborn thigh injury to be replaced by Fred.

United seemingly took the game beyond Everton in stunning fashion when Bruno Fernandes struck a beautiful shot past Everton goalkeeper Robin Olsen.

Fernandes received a pass at the edge of the box, looked up as Everton players sat off, and curled what was a stunning attempt at goal for his 14th strike of the campaign.

The Portugal international’s goal was worthy of winning any match but Everton came guns blazing in the second half as a resurgent three minutes, 17 seconds saw them claw back in the game.

The Toffees’ first goal came when Tom Davies fed a ball to Calvert Lewin who played a gentle cross into the box which was inexplicably parried by David De Gea into the path of Abdoulaye Doucoure who tucked it home.

Doucoure was heavily involved in the equaliser minutes later as his cross found James Rodriguez who brilliantly controlled to fire low past De Gea.

Despite squandering a two-goal lead, United pressed for a third and it came in the 70th minute when Luke Shaw swung a ball into the box from the left side which met Scott McTominay who glanced a header in the net.

Solskaer brought on Alex Tuanzebe for Mason Greenwood late on in a move which was aimed to see the game off but ultimately proved costly.

Tuanzebe conceded a free kick late in the game with Everton throwing everyone forward for possibly the last play of the game.

Lucas Digne sent in the free kick as Michael Keane headed it into the area for Calvert Lewin to latch onto the loose ball to score a dramatic equalizer.

Source: Sports Brief News