- Anthony Martial has endured a difficult spell with Man United this season, with injuries taking a toll on him
- Martial has been United's No.9 since the departure of Romelu Lukaku who left for Inter Milan
- However, the Frenchman has failed to live up to his billing, underscoring the need for the club to seek an alternative
- Fletcher contends Mason Greenwood could be the answer to the Red Devils No.9 role
- The youngster is a lethal finisher with the ability to kick with either foot, and can play on either wing or through the middle
Man United's new technical director Darren Fletcher is reportedly looking in the direction of Mason Greenwood as Anthony Martial's ideal replacement in the No.9 role.
Unlike Martial, Greenwood has actively been involved this season in United's attack-line in the absence of key players.
Edinson Cavani and Martial have been kept on the sidelines for the better part of the second half of the season, presenting Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with a big concern as he seeks to end the campaign on a high.
Martial has been United's No.9 since the exit of Romelu Lukaku who left for Inter Milan, but the Frenchman has failed to live up to his billing.
The 25-year-old's recurrent injuries are also a major concern for the Manchester club who are looking to close in on the gap between them and rivals City in the coming seasons.
The former Monaco star is already set for the sidelines just days after his return from injury, having picked another on international duty with France.
However, Mirror UK reports Fletcher contends Greenwood could fit in perfectly in Martial's shoes, having previously described the youngster as a "defender's nightmare."
"I think he’s a starter in United’s best team. Mason plays off the right-hand side, Anthony Martial in the middle and Marcus Rashford on the left, with Bruno [Fernandes] at No.10," the former midfielder was quoted saying in 2020.
“That’s the best attack and the one that put people on the edge of their seats," he added.
Be that as it may, United are expected to enter the market in search of a fresh legs especially in the attacking department.
The Red Devils have already been linked with moves for Borussia Dortmund hotshot Erling Haaland and Juventus' Paulo Dybala.
Earlier, Legit.ng had reported how Manchester United right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka is considering dumping England and commit his international future to DR Congo if he fails to be invited for their upcoming games.
The Red Devils defender is eligible to play for the Three Lions as well as the Congolese national team having already represented both countries at the youth level.