- Europe's leading strikers have all set their eyes on winning the coveted European Golden Shoe as the season takes shape
- Manchester City hotshot Erling Haaland is currently leading the charts after scoring an impressive 11 goals so far
- However, he is facing stiff competition from a number of players, including Robert Lewandowski and Neymar, who have scored eight goals each
- Lewandowski, who won the award last season during his time with Bayern Munich, will be hoping to successfully defend the crown
The race for the European Golden Show is hotting up as the continent's top marksmen angle for the prestigious prize.
The gong is awarded each season to the leading goalscorer in league matches from the top division of a European national league, including the Premier League, the Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, and Ligue 1.
Last season, the award was won by Robert Lewandowski, with the Pole carting home the accolade after he netted an eyewatering 35 goals during the 2021/22 season.
Fascinatingly, Lewandowski, who has since swapped Bayern Munich for Barcelona, is still in the frame to win the award.
Exciting feature: Check out news exactly for YOU ➡️ find "Recommended for you" block and enjoy!
The 34-year-old has already scored eight goals so far this season to sit second on the leading goalscorers charts.
He is set to face stiff competition from the likes of Erling Haaland and Neymar in his quest to defend the crown.
Haaland is currently topping the charts with 11 goals, while Neymar is equally in good shape, having already scored eight times for Paris Saint-Germain.
Below are the top 10 leading goalscorers in Europe so far (as of Wednesday, September 28):
1. Erling Haaland (Man City) - 11 goals
2. Robert Lewandowski (Barcelona) - 8 goals
3. Neymar (PSG) - 8 goals
4. Kylian Mbappe (PSG) - 7 goals
5. Harry Kane (Tottenham) - 6 goals
6. Aleksandar Mitrovic (Fulham) - 6 goals
7. Borja Iglesias (Real Betis) - 6 goals
8. Sheraldo Becker (Union Berlin) - 6 goals
9. Marko Arnautovic (Bologna) - 6 goals
10. Terem Moffi (Lorient) - 6 goals
Erling Haaland breaks yet another record in the Premier League
Sports Brief had earlier reported that Erling Haaland had broken yet another Premier League record after shining in Manchester City's 3-0 win over Wolves on Saturday, September 17.
The Norwegian hotshot has been in scintillating shape since joining City in the summer from Borussia Dortmund.
The youngster has already scored an eyewatering 14 goals across competitions for the English giants. Haaland was once again on target for City during their trip to Molineux as the Pep Guardiola-tutored side humbled Wolves 3-0.