Strangest sports: Top 10 weirdest sports in the world currentlyOther Sports
How to deflate a ball the right way: How and what to use
The need to inflate or deflate any sports ball serves different purposes for athletes. In any sport, a deflated or over-inflated ball can undermine a player's performance. Dig in here for a complete step-by-step guide on how to deflate a ball in different sports.
Should a football be fully inflated? While each sport has various regulations surrounding the amount of air pressure required, playing with softer, deflated balls has advantages and disadvantages. Scroll to learn how to deflate a ball with or without a needle.
What are the advantages of deflating a football?
Sports equipment managers, players, and coaches may need to remove air from sports balls in between uses for various reasons. Primarily, this is done to store them for travel. A report by Simple Flying revealed that the American Transportation Security Administration (TSA) expects passengers to transport sports balls that are partly or entirely deflated when travelling.
Additionally, when not in use, it is advisable to store them in a deflated state. This tip improves their longevity, keeping them sturdy.
How to deflate a ball with a needle
Sports balls typically have two layers made using leather or synthetic leather and an inner rubber bladder. The inner bladder has a valve used to let air in or out.
The most appropriate way to have the air expelled from them requires a maintenance kit with an inflation needle. Scroll down for a summary of how to deflate a ball for packing or storage.
- Locate the valve. Typically, the valve is marked by the manufacturer. However, if not, find a small hole on a nail-head-sized black cover on the ball's surface.
- Lubricate the pump's inflation needle using a lubricant, such as oil, glycerin, or water.
- Insert the inflation needle into the valve. Slowly and carefully press the needle into the valve opening on the outer cover. After playing, the valve becomes de-aligned with the opening. As such, this step should be done cautiously to avoid perforating the rubber bladder.
- Re-align the valve. Shake the ball with the valve facing down to line up the valve and its bladder opening on the surface.
- Gently press the ball to release air from the bladder. While releasing air from the bladder, keep the inflation needle well-placed without moving it.
30 of the most hilarious hockey puns to crack your ribsNHL
How do you use an electric ball pump for deflation?
Electric ball pumps are equipped with a pressure relief system that automatically releases excess air when inflating. Learn how to deflate a ball with a pump for storage and travelling purposes with the following steps.
- Press the power button for two to three seconds to turn on the pump.
- Locate the valve's opening on the outer covering.
- Plug the inbuilt inflation needle into the valve opening, then press the deflation button.
- Allow the pump to release air to the desired level. Press the power button once this is achieved.
How to deflate a ball without a pump
Without a pump or inflation needle, the ball can be deflated with a pen, paperclip, bobby pin or sewing needle. However, releasing air without a needle may cause damage to the valve. Have a look at a summary of how to deflate a ball with a pen or a paperclip.
What is the best bat in the world? A list of the best cricket batsCricket
- Locate the valve's opening on the outer covering.
- Lubricate the needle or paperclip using a lubricant, oil, glycerin, water or saliva to ease its entry into the valve.
- Straighten the paper clip as much as possible. The paperclip should be at least one and a quarter inches long (3.18 centimetres).
- Gently push the pen or paperclip into the pen valve.
- Slowly press the air out. While squeezing, firmly hold the needle or paper clip.
- Carefully remove the needle or paperclip once adequately deflated. Ensure the whole paperclip is completely removed from the valve.
How to deflate a ball quickly
In emergency situations, is there a way to deflate a ball quickly? The best way to reduce the air pressure from a sports ball without damaging it requires the use of the correct equipment, such as an electric pump or the pump needle.
How to deflate a ball without popping it
A list of the 10 best foosball tables in the world right nowOther Sports
Caution must be taken to avoid damaging the inner bladder or valve while deflating it. This can be done by following the following steps.
- Use the appropriate pump needle.
- Use a lubricant when inserting the needle.
- Ensure that the valve opening and the bladder pipeline are aligned to avoid perforating the bladder.
Why are deflated footballs better?
In 2015, the NFL deflate-gate scandal brought to light the ball pressure preferences of players and coaches. The scandal broke out a year after the infamous 2014 AFC title match between the New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts. The allegations against the New England Patriots claimed that the team used balls that were under-inflated by 2 pounds per square inch below the NFL regulations, leading to their 45-7 win against the Colts.
While speaking to SportsCentre, retired NFL quarterback Mark Brunell remarked that it is easier to kick, throw, and catch a deflated football, saying,
What does ISO mean in basketball? The ultimate guide to understanding ISO ballNBA
"There is a huge advantage to having a deflated one. If you take a little air out of it, it is easier to palm it."
University of Nebraska physics professor Timothy Gay also added that,
"When a little air is removed, it makes it easier for players to kick accurately because they get more surface in contact with the toe."
On the contrary, players such as Aaron Rodgers prefer slightly over-inflated balls. However, in an interview with ESPN Radio, he acknowledged the edge that a slight deflation can give a player. In addition, Northern Illinois University physics professor Mike Eads rebuffed the advantages of the practice, saying,
"The higher the pressure, the harder and more firm the ball becomes. Lighter ones are more influenced by air resistance, meaning they do not travel as far."
Although a ball is typically used in an inflated state, the knowledge of how to deflate a ball for different sports is necessary for travelling and storage purposes. The appropriate use of the required equipment also ensures the longevity of the ball.
Sports Brief recently published an article about one of golf's must-have accessories. Golf gloves have been linked to better performance for golfers as they improve a player's grip and confidence when swinging their irons. Click on the link above to learn more about the accessory that serves as a golfer's best defence from peeling skin, callouses, and blisters.