- Sports Cabinet Secretary Mohamed announced the government had suspended operations of bars and entertainment joints
- Mohamed said such establishments would be allowed to operate during the day as usual but ensure they close before 7pm
- The government also banned any form of gathering with more than 20 people at the designated spectator zones along the rally circuit
PAY ATTENTION: Don't miss trending Kenyan news. Follow TUKO.co.ke on Twitter!
The government has released heath guidelines to contain the possible spread of coronavirus in Naivasha during the World Championship Rally event.
Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed announced the government had suspended operations of bars and entertainment joints within the Safari Rally spectator zones.
Mohamed said such establishments would be allowed to operate during the day as usual but ensure they close before 7pm for the three days beginning Thursday, June 24.
The government also banned any form of gathering with more than 20 people at the designated spectator zones along the Safari Rally circuit.
“All the Covid-19 protocols remain in place, nothing has been suspended. The rally takes place during the day, and We don’t expect multitudes of people congregating in Naivasha at night. We urge members of the public who wish to attend the rally to fully familiarise themselves with the guide. Rally attendees will be required to access the spectator stages two hours to the start of the races,” she said.
At the same time, the CS who was speaking on Wednesday, June 23, after meeting WCR Safari Rally organisers and Sports Ministry officials at KICC promised safari rally enthusiasts the event would be unique.
PAY ATTENTION: Help us change more lives, join TUKO.co.ke’s Patreon programme
“The Safari Rally is at the heart of our national heritage as it embodies the spirit of our people to excel even in the toughest circumstances. The profile of this event identifies Kenya’s capacity as a top tourist destination," she added.
Earlier in the day, Nairobi area traffic commander Joshua Omukata asked motorists using Thika road and Uhuru Highway to find alternative routes between 8 am and 12 pm on Thursday, June 24.
The traffic disruption will give way for the ceremonial flag-off of the racing cars.
"Some roads are going to be disrupted and it is for this reason that I urge the public to bear with us. We are going to disrupt the flow to have a safe way for these safari rally cars. It's better they avoid Uhuru Highway and Thika road, the main routes for these events," Omukata stated.
Do you have a groundbreaking story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through email@example.com or WhatsApp: 0732482690.
Source: Sports Brief News