German Bundesliga 2023 Prize Money: How Dortmund Lost Heavily to Bayern Munich on Final Day

German Bundesliga 2023 Prize Money: How Dortmund Lost Heavily to Bayern Munich on Final Day

Babajide Orevba
May 28, 2023 at 11:32 AM
  • Borussia Dortmund bottled German Bundesliga 2023 prize money on the final match day
  • The Black and Yellow side just needed a win over Mainz to edge Bayern Munich to the title
  • Somehow they shared the spoils with the visitors, while Bayern defeated Koln away from home to claim the ultimate prize

Organizers of the German Bundesliga also splash the cash on all teams that participate in the league every season.

Revenues are made from broadcast rights sold yearly to domestic and international broadcast stations.

Over the last few decades, the Bundesliga has witnessed increased revenue, and it reached another level when the league agreed to a four-year TV contract with the United Kingdom.

Bayern Munich, Bundesliga, Borussia Dortmund, Mainz
German Bundesliga 2023 prize money goes to winners Bayern Munich. Photo: Matthias Hangst
Source: Getty Images

Sports Unfold also reports that Bundesliga has a new TV rights deal with DAZN and Deutschland for €1.16 billion per year for four years.

How is the money shared?

It was gathered that 70 per cent of the funds are distributed equally to all participating teams in the league. The remaining 30 per cent is shared based on each team’s position at the end of the season.

The higher a team finishes on the log, the more money the club gets. Last season, all teams shared around €1.16 billion.

This season champions will go home with €76.47 million, while second-placed Borussia Dortmund will take €74.97 Million, Top Soccer reports.

2022/23 Bundesliga Prize Money for each position

Position Prize Money

  1. €76.47 Million
  2. €74.97 Million
  3. €72.09 Million
  4. €71.24 Million
  5. €69.94 Million
  6. €67.78 Million
  7. €65.6 Million
  8. €63.55 Million
  9. €60.17 Million
  10. €59.78 Million
  11. €55.06 Million
  12. €53.4 Million
  13. €49.44 Million
  14. €45.91 Million
  15. €43.42 Million
  16. €41.85 Million
  17. €35.51 Million
  18. €31.72 Million

How Borussia Dortmund blew away the title

Sports Brief earlier reported that Borussia Dortmund gave the Bundesliga title to heated rivals Bayern Munich on a shocking final day in the German topflight, a stunning collapse that left a ready-to-party Westfalenstadion in mourners’ status.

Dortmund entered the day with the table lead and dominated Mainz but failed to get all three points.

They would have won the league by matching or bettering Bayern’s result but instead handed an 11th-straight Meisterschale to the Bavarians. No one has won more German top-flight titles than Bayern’s 33.

Babajide Orevba photo
Babajide Orevba
HOD- Local Desk