Top 10 highest-paid soccer players in South Africa premier league 2023Football
Top 10 richest football clubs in South Africa in 2023 listed
Did you know the most popular mainstream sports in South Africa are football, rugby, and cricket? The country is home to multiple sports clubs, and football clubs are among the richest. Many people wonder what the richest football club in South Africa in 2023 is. Today, you will find an answer.
The richest football club in South Africa is worth millions of South African Rand. It competes in the South African Premier Division, commonly known as the PSL. Discover which one it is and more details about the top football teams in the country.
Richest football club in South Africa: top 10 list
There are multiple football leagues in contemporary SA. These teams make money from multiple ventures, including brand sponsorships and television rights. Discover the top 10 richest football clubs in South Africa today.
10. Chippa United - R63.83 million
- Full name: Chippa United Football Club
- Nickname: Chilli Boys
- Chairman: Siviwe Mpengesi
- Location: Gqeberha, Eastern Cape
- Year founded: 2010
Chippa United is one of the top 10 richest teams in the PSL, with an estimated net worth of R63.83 million. Chippa FC has been running since 2010. Initially, it was based in the Nyanga suburb of the city of Cape Town. Today, it is based in Gqeberha.
9. Bloemfontein Celtic - R73.99 million
- Full name: Bloemfontein Celtic Football Club
- Nicknames: Phunya Sele Sele or Siwelele
- Owners: Norman Mathobisa and Victor Mahatane
- Location: Bloemfontein
- Year founded: 1969
Bloemfontein Celtic is simply known as Celtic. While the players in this team do not compete in the PSL, the team is among the richest in the country. It is worth an estimated R73.99 million. Celtic competes in the ABC Motsepe League.
8. Cape Town Spurs - R76.14 million
- Full name: Cape Town Spurs FC (formerly known as Ajax Cape Town)
- Nickname: Urban Warriors
- Chairman: Ari Efstathiou
- Location: Parow, Cape Town
- Year founded: 1970
Top 20 best pitchers in the MLB of all time: rankings in 2023Baseball
Cape Town Spurs plays in the National First Division. AFC Ajax was its parent club and majority shareholder after a merger of Cape Town Spurs and Seven Stars in January 1999. Ajax sold its shares in September 2020. Today, the FC is worth an estimated R76.14 million.
7. Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila FC - R107.36 million
- Full name: Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila Football Club
- Nicknames: TTM FC or Vhadau vhadamani
- Owner: Lawrence Mulaudzi
- Location: Thohoyandou, Limpopo province
- Year founded: 2020
Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila FC plays its home matches at the Thohoyandou Stadium. In 2020, the club purchased the Premier League status of Bidvest Wits. Today, TTM FC is worth about R107.36 million.
6. Cape Town City - R159 million
- Full name: Cape Town City Football Club
- Nicknames: The Citizens or Blue and Gold Army
- Owners: Michel Comitis and John Comitis
- Location: Cape Town
- Year founded: 2016
Ranking the richest MLB teams currently: Find out which team tops the listBaseball
Cape Town City is one of the top 10 richest teams in the PSL in 2023. Its estimated net worth is R159 million. The original club was established in 1962. It was reformed and rebranded in 2016. It plays its home matches at Cape Town Stadium.
5. Supersport United - R170 million
- Full name: SuperSport United Football Club
- Nickname: Matsatsantsa (The Swanky Boys, The Trendsetters)
- Chairperson: Khulu Sibiya
- Location: Atteridgeville, Pretoria
- Year founded: 1985
Supersport FC is an association football club fully owned by SuperSport, a South African group of television channels. It is one of the top 10 teams with the most trophies in South Africa in 2023, and its estimated net worth is R170 million. The club was originally known as Pretoria City.
4. AmaZulu - R173 million
- Full name: AmaZulu Football Club
- Nicknames: Usuthu or Amaqhawe
- Chairperson: Sandile Zungu
- Location: Durban, KwaZulu Natal
- Year founded: 1932
Who is the highest-paid player in Nigeria's premier league 2023? Top 10 listFootball
AmaZulu plays in the PSL, i.e. the first tier of the SA football league system. It is one of the oldest clubs in the country. It was formed by Zulu migrant workers in 1932. Today its estimated net worth is R173 million.
3. Kaizer Chiefs - R262 million
- Full name: Kaizer Chiefs Football Club
- Nicknames: AmaKhosi, The Phefeni Boys, Abafana Bok'thula Noxolo, or The glamour boys
- Owner: Kaizer Motaung
- Location: Naturena, Johannesburg South
- Year founded: 1970
The Chiefs have won 13 league titles and over 78 club trophies since 1970. They hold the most trophies amongst all clubs in SA. Today, Kaizer Chiefs is worth about R262 million.
2. Orlando Pirates - R325.9 million
- Full name: Orlando Pirates Football Club
- Nicknames: The Sea Robbers, The Buccaneers, Bucs, Happy People, Zimnyama Ngenkani, or Mabakabaka
- Chairperson: Irvin Khoza
- Location: Houghton suburbs of Johannesburg
- Year founded: 1937
Royal AM enters the world record books for 'boasting' dubious historic statisticFootball
The Buccaneers play their home matches at Orlando Stadium in Soweto. The club's performance over the years has inspired young footballers to strive to play the game at the highest level. The club is worth about R325.9 million in 2023.
1. Mamelodi Sundowns - R382 million
- Full name: Mamelodi Sundowns Football Club
- Nicknames: Bafana Bafana, Masandawana, Ka bo Yellow, or The Brazilians
- Owner: Patrice Motsepe
- Location: Mamelodi, Pretoria, Gauteng
- Year founded: 1970
Mamelodi Sundowns is arguably the richest football club in South Africa in 2023, with an estimated net worth of R382 million. The team plays its home games in the Loftus Versfeld Stadium.
Recap of the richest football clubs in South Africa
Cape Town City
Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila
Cape Town Spurs
Who is the highest-paid coach in the PSL in 2023? Top 10 rankingFootball
Which is the richest team in South Africa?
The wealthiest football team in the country is Mamelodi Sundowns. The team is worth about R382 million.
What is the richest team in the PSL?
The richest team in the PSL is Mamelodi Sundowns. It has an estimated net worth of R382 million in 2023.
What is the biggest football team in South Africa?
Kaizer Chiefs are arguably the biggest team based on performance. The team has won 13 league titles and bagged over 78 club trophies.
Which is the richest soccer team in Africa?
The richest football team in Africa is Al Ahly of Egypt. The team has a market value of 25.5 million euros.
Which is the richest football team in the world?
Manchester City is the wealthiest football club in the world in 2023. It is worth about €731 million.
Knowing the richest football club in South Africa is important for every football fan in SA. Has your favourite team appeared on the list? Share your thoughts with us in the comment section.
Sportsbrief.com recently published a list of the best African players in the Premier League in 2023. The Premier League is home to some of the most talented football players in the world, including many from Africa.
The Premier League has always been a league known for its diversity and inclusivity, and African players have played a crucial role in its success. Some African players have left an indelible mark on the league.