Spain’s national football team, known for its signature style of play, 'tiki taka', has undoubtedly proved its prowess in the game, having dominated in the UEFA EURO cup and FIFA World Cup tournaments for many years. This article will give you a detailed look at the team's nickname, roster, world rankings, captain, coach, titles and more.
Does Spain have the best football team? The 2010 world champions, nicknamed the 'Red Fury', have maintained their exceptional performances since the club's inception in 1920. Dig in to discover why the team is recognized as one of the greatest national sides ever.
- Full name: Spanish national football team
- Spain's national football team's nickname: The Red Fury, The Red One, La Roja
- Managed by: Royal Spanish Football Federation
- Founded: 1920
- Colours: White, red and blue
- Federation: UEFA
- Coach: Luis Enrique
- Captain: Sergio Busquets
- Most caps: Sergio Ramos (180)
- Top scorer: David Villa (59)
- FIFA ranking: 7 (as of December 2021)
- Highest FIFA ranking: 1 (2008-2013)
- FIFA code: ESP
- Total market value: $825.1 million
- Stadium: Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, Estadio Manuel Martínez Valero
11 years after the formation of the Royal Spanish Football Federation, the first national football team was created officially, for an appearance at the 1920 Olympics, where they played against Denmark. But unfortunately, the club could not play in any international matches due to the Spanish Civil War between 1936 and 1939, and the Second World War between 1939 and 1945.
So, why is the Spanish team called 'La Roja'? Following the 1920 Summer Olympics, an Italian journalist coined the nickname 'Furia Roja' or the 'Red Fury' from the squad's unique style of play, better known as Tiki-taka (Tiqui-taca).
Spain’s national football team’s World Cup
In 1950, the club made their second appearance at the FIFA World Cup, finishing fourth after Sweden, Brazil and Uruguay. Since then, the club appeared in 1962, 1966, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2010, 2014, and 2018 World Cup tournaments.
So, is Spain playing in the 2022 World Cup? Well, La Roja qualified for the World Cup 2022 and is set to appear in the Group E stage in the following matches.
Although the final squad for the 2022 World Cup is not yet announced, look at Spain’s national football team’s players who may appear in the fixtures according to FourTwoTwo. These include global soccer stars such as De Gea, Sergio Busquets, Koke, Jordi Alba, Alvaro Morata, Cesar Azpilicueta and Dani Olmo.
Has Spain ever won a World Cup trophy?
Based on Goal's detailed account of the club's performance, La Roja has only lifted the trophy once. Spain emerged as the best football team in the world after defeating the Netherlands in the 2010 South Africa World Cup.
Spain’s national football team’s roster
Here is an updated list of La Roja's 2022 squad.
Discover more about Canada's national football team, players, coach, FIFA world rankings, World Cup 2022, trophies
- Unai Simón
- David Raya
- Arnau Tenas
- Pau Torres (Centre back)
- Aymeric Laporte (Centre back)
- Eric García (Centre back)
- Hugo Guillamón (Centre back)
- Marcos Alonso (Left-back)
- Jordi Alba (Left-back)
- Daniel Carvajal (Right back)
- César Azpilicueta (Right back)
- Rodri (Defensive Midfield)
- Pedri (Central Midfield)
- Marcos Llorente (Central Midfield)
- Gavi (Central Midfield)
- Carlos Soler (Central Midfield)
- Koke (Central Midfield)
- Dani Olmo (Attacking Midfield)
- Ferran Torres (Right Winger)
- Yéremy Pino (Right Winger)
- Pablo Sarabia (Right Winger)
- Álvaro Morata (Centre-Forward)
- Raúl de Tomás (Centre-Forward)
Spain’s national football team’s captain and coach
Who is the captain of the Spanish football team? In 2020, defensive midfielder Sergio Busquets replaced Sergio Ramos, one of the highest-scoring defenders of all time. Following Busquets' exit from the EURO 2020 tournaments after testing positive for Covid-19, head coach Luis dismissed suggestions about replacing the skipper, saying,
“It’s not that I want to wait for Busi. I am going to wait for Busi. As soon as he has recovered, he will be on the list, for sure.”
Here is a profile summary of the irreplaceable midfielder, Sergio Busquets.
Sergio Busquets' profile summary
- Full name: Sergio Busquets Burgos
- Date of birth: 16 July 1988
- Age: 33 years old (as of May 2022)
- Place of birth: Badia del Vallès, Spain
- Zodiac sign: Cancer
- Position: Defensive midfield
- Number: 5
- Current team: FC Barcelona
- Caps: 133
Luis Enrique was reappointed as the club's head coach in 2019 by the Spanish Football Federation, replacing caretaker manager Robert Moreno. The former FC Barcelona tactician's return proved to be fortunate after the 2022 World Cup qualifiers.
Luis Enrique's profile summary
- Full name: Luis Enrique Martínez García
- Date of birth: 8 May 1970
- Age: 52 years old (as of May 2022)
- Place of birth: Gijón, Spain
- Zodiac sign: Taurus
- Appointed: 19 November 2019
- Contract until: 31 December 2022
- Preferred position: 4-3-3 Attacking
- Champions League win percentage: 73%
- La Liga win percentage: 66.4%
Switzerland's national football team's players, coach, FIFA world rankings, World Cup 2022, trophies
Spain’s national football team’s legends
Home to some of the greatest footballers in the world, it is no wonder that La Roja has continued to be one of the best soccer teams of all time. So, who is the greatest Spanish footballer of all time? Well, that is a tough debate to have but let us look at the profile of one of the most famous Spanish football legends who many could argue is one of the best if not the best ever.
Andres Iniesta's profile summary
- Full name: Andrés Iniesta Luján
- Date of birth: 11 Jan 1984
- Place of birth: Fuentealbilla, Spain
- Position: Central midfield
- Caps: 132
- Goals: 14
- Titles and trophies: World Cup (1), European champion (2), World Cup participant (2), Footballer of the Year (1), European Under-19 champion (1), European Under-17 champion (1), Player of the Year (1)
Fascinating facts about Ecuador's national football team players, coach, FIFA world rankings, World cup 2022, trophies
Spain’s national football team’s world rankings
What is Spain's world rank? Based on the latest FIFA rankings, the club is placed in the 7th position with 1709.19 points.
Spain’s national football team’s trophies
How many football trophies does Spain have? Here is an overview of all the major titles and awards won by the club, according to Statista.
- 1 FIFA World Cup trophy
- 1 FIFA under-20 World Cup trophy
- 3 UEFA European Championship titles
- 168 Olympic medals
- 5 UEFA Euro under-21 titles
- 11 UEFA Euro under-19 titles
- 9 UEFA Euro under-17 titles
- 6 UEFA Euro under-16 titles
- FIFA Fair Play Trophy 2006, 2010, 2013, 2018
- FIFA Team of the Year 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Prince of Asturias Award for Sports 2010
- Laureus World Team of the Year 2011
Spain’s national football team enjoys decades of rich history that makes it one of the most entertaining teams to follow. From their Tiki-Taka style of play to the passion the players bring to the game, it is clear to see why the club draws such a large global following.
Sportsbrief recently published an article on NFL's most successful players as of 2022. American Football is one of the most exciting sports drawing billions of fans globally. Discover more about the greatest NFL players who have won multiple Super Bowl titles, such as Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw, Matt Milen and Kenjon Barner.
Dig in here and find out more.
Source: Sports Brief News