Algeria national football team: squad, coach, world rankings, AFCON, trophies
Algeria's national football team is an international football club that represents the Republic of Algeria in men's soccer. While football has been in existence in the country since the 1830s, it was first represented by Tunisia. However, after attaining independence from France, Algeria officially debuted in the soccer scene in 1962.
Does Algeria's national football team have a nickname? Like other football clubs, it has a nickname. The players are often dubbed The Greens, The Fennec Foxes, and The Desert Warriors. Have you been wondering who Algeria's coach is? Have a look at this article and find more information regarding The Desert Warriors.
- Full name: Algeria National Football Team
- Nickname: The Greens, The Fennec Foxes, and The Desert Warriors
- Managed by: Algerian Football Federation
- Founded: 1962
- Colours: Green and white
- Federation: CAF
- Head coach: Djamel Belmadi
- Captain: Riyad Karim Mahrez
- Most caps: Lakhdar Belloumi (100)
- Top scorer: Islam Slimani (39)
- FIFA ranking: 29 (as of December 2021)
- Stadium: Mustapha Tchaker Stadium and Stade du 5 Juillet
- FIFA code: ALG
Is football popular in Algeria?
Soccer is the national sport in Algeria. It is one of the most prominent countries in Africa that has won several championships and Olympic medals. It is the most popular sport in the country to the point that it is termed a national sport. Aside from soccer, there are other popular games such as martial arts, basketball, boxing, and athletics.
Who is the Algeria national football team coach?
For the success and prosperity of any given team, a coach is mandatory for further guidance and general leadership. Below is a short profile of the team's coach.
- Full name: Djamel Belmadi
- Date of birth: 25 March 1976
- Age: 45 years old (as of January 2022)
- Place of birth: Champigny-sur-Marne, France
- Nationality: French
- Height in feet: 5'9"
- Height in centimetres: 175
- Current team: The Desert Warriors
Aside from the coach, another critical team member is the captain, who is usually older or more skilled than the other players. Have a look at his profile.
- Full name: Riyad Karim Mahrez
- Date of birth: 21 February 1991
- Age: 30 years old (as of January 2022)
- Place of birth: Sarcelles, France
- Nationality: French
- Height in feet: 5'10"
- Height in centimetres: 179
- Current team: Manchester City and Algeria National Football team
- Position: Winger
- Number: 26
Did Algeria's national football team squad make it to AFCON 2022?
The Dessert warriors are renowned for holding two Africa Cup Of Nations championships, in 1990 and recently in 2019. Their consistency and optimism immensely impacted the other matches and competitions they participated in.
Having won the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations competitions, they automatically qualified for the 2021/22 AFCON competitions currently hosted in Cameroon as of 25 January 2022. As a result, Algeria has played in Group E:
- 11 January: Algeria vs Sierra Leone
- 15 January: Algeria vs Equatorial Guinea
- 19 January: Ivory Coast vs Algeria
What are Algeria's AFCON 2022 results?
Here are the team's results from the recent matches they have played. Have a look.
- 11 January: Algeria (0) vs Sierra Leone
- 15 January: Algeria (0) vs Equatorial Guinea (1)
- 19 January: Ivory Coast (3) vs Algeria (1)
Who are the current Algeria national football team players?
The following players were called up for the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations. Have a look.
- Moustapha Zeghba (Damac)
- Alexandre Oukidja (Metz)
- Raïs M'Bolhi (Saudi Arabia Al-Ettifaq)
- Aïssa Mandi (Villarreal)
- Mehdi Tahrat (Al-Gharafa)
- Djamel Benlamri (Qatar SC)
- Mohamed Amine Tougai (ES Tunis)
- Abdelkader Bedrane (ES Tunis)
- Youcef Atal (Nice)
- Ramy Bensebaini (Borussia Mönchengladbach)
- Ilyes Chetti (ES Tunis)
- Houcine Benayada (ES Sahel)
- Réda Halaïmia (Beerschot)
- Ramiz Zerrouki (Twente)
- Sofiane Feghouli (Galatasaray)
- Yacine Brahimi (Al-Rayyan)
- Haris Belkebla (Brest)
- Sofiane Bendebka (Al-Fateh)
- Farid Boulaya (Metz)
- Adem Zorgane (Charleroi)
- Ismaël Bennacer (Milan)
- Riyad Mahrez (captain) (Manchester City)
- Youcef Belaïli
- Baghdad Bounedjah (Al Sadd)
- Islam Slimani (Lyon)
- Adam Ounas (Napoli)
- Mohamed El Amine Amoura (Lugano)
- Saïd Benrahma (West Ham United)
Algeria's national football team FIFA rankings
What is Algeria's national football team world ranking? According to the latest FIFA ranking, The Greens sit at position 29 with 1516.51 points, just after Morocco, which has 1529.93 points. The team's highest FIFA ranking was position 15 in 2014, while its lowest was position 103 in 2008.
Algeria national football team trophies
Has the team ever won any trophies? Yes, it has. In fact, the team's fame skyrocketed following its championship in various matches that they participated in. Here is the list of trophies The Greens have won:
- Mediterranean Games champions (1975)
- Afro-Asian Cup of Nations champions (1991)
- Africa Cup of Nations champions (1990 and 2019)
- FIFA Arab Cup champions (2019)
- African National Team of the Year champions (1980, 1981, 1982, 1990 (shared), 1991, 2009, 2014, 2019)
Participating in the World Cup is a dream of any Algeria national football team player and fan. However, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a step. With how the team's consistency is displayed, perhaps the country is a few steps away from reaching its goal. World Cup awaits!
READ ALSO: DR Congo national football team: players, coach, world rankings, AFCON, nickname
Sportsbrief.com has recently reported about DR Congo national football team. DR Congo football team, formerly known as Zaire and Congo Kinshasa, is a team that represents the Democratic Republic of the Congo in men's football.
The team is a member of FIFA and the Confederation of African Football. So when was the Congo team founded? If you want to find more information, including details about its current world rankings, coach, captain, players, and participation in the Africa Cup of Nations, read here!
Source: Sports Brief News