The South African national football team is an international team that represents the republic of South Africa in men's international soccer. The team is governed by the South African Football Association, a body that controls soccer in South Africa. Moreover, the team is a member of both FIFA and the Confederation of African Football. Join us as we learn fascinating facts about them!
Does the South Africa national football team have a nickname? Yes, it has. They are often dubbed the Bafana Bafana players. Have a look at this article and find more information about South Africa's national football team roster, its players, coach, captain, and its participation in the Africa Cup of Nations.
- Full name: South Africa National Football Team
- Nickname: Bafana Bafana
- Managed by: (SAFA) South African Football Association
- Founded: 1991
- Colours: Yellow, green, and white
- Federation: CAF
- Head coach: Hugo Henri Broos
- Captain: Ronwen Williams
- Most caps: Aaron Mokoena
- Top scorer: Benni McCarthy
- FIFA ranking: 68 (as of December 2021)
- Stadium: FNB Stadium
- FIFA code: RSA
South Africa national football team history
The Bafana Bafana team made their debut in the football scene through colonialism in the late 19th century, as the game was popular among British soldiers. Although the country was affected by the country's system of racial segregation, they still made it through soccer, participating in various matches afterwards.
South Africa national football team AFCON campaigns
Bafana Bafana made their AFCON debut in the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers and was placed in Group 5, alongside Mauritius, Zimbabwe, and Zambia.
The team then won one game, away to Mauritius, drew with Zambia and Zimbabwe, finishing third and failing to qualify.
The team gave it another shot in 1996 after 5 years of readmission, and it achieved their finest moment when they won that year's Africa Cup of Nations.
Did Bafana Bafana qualify for Afcon 2022?
Unfortunately, Bafana Bafana did not qualify for the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations. Their last appearance was in 2019 during the Quarterfinals. However, the team has successfully made three appearances in FIFA World Cup, with their first attempt in 1994. Their last appearance in FIFA World Cup was in 2006.
Who are the Guinea national football team captain and coach?
The South African men's national football team has recruited several captains and coaches since 1992, but only one of them has led them to AFCON and World Cup glory. Below are the profiles of the Bafana Bafana coach and captains. Have a look.
South Africa national football team captain
Have a look at the profile summary of Bafana Bafana's current captain.
- Full name: Ronwen Hayden Williams
- Date of birth: 21 January 1992
- Age: 30 years old (as of January 2022)
- Place of birth: Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- Nationality: South African
- Height in feet: 6'0"
- Height in centimetres: 184
- Position: Goalkeeper
- Current team: Bafana Bafana Team, SuperSport United
- Number: 30
South Africa national football team coach
There have been several coaches since 1992. Have a look at the profile summary of the team's current coach.
- Full name: Hugo Henri Broos
- Date of birth: 10 April 1952
- Age: 69 years old (as of January 2022)
- Place of birth: Humbeek, Belgium
- Nationality: Belgian
- Zodiac sign: Aries
- Height in feet: 5'11"
- Height in centimetres: 180
- Current team: South Africa National Football Team
Who are Guinea national football team players?
The following Bafana Bafana players were called up for the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualification. Have a look.
- Ronwen Williams (SuperSport United)
- Veli Mothwa (AmaZulu F.C)
- Bruce Bvuma (Kaizer Chiefs)
- Evidence Makgopa (Baroka)
- Thabaani Zuke (Golden Arrows)
- Mduduzi Mdantsane ( Cape Town City F.C)
- Njabulo Blom (Kaizer Chiefs)
- Goodman Mosele (Orlando Pirates)
- Percy Tau (Al Ahly)
- Keagan Dolly (Kaizer Chiefs)
- Teboho Mokoena (SuperSport United)
- Mothobi Mvala (Mamelodi Sundowns)
- Ethan Brooks (TS Galaxy FC)
- Yusuf Maart (Sekhukhune United FC)
- Nyiko Mobbie (Sekhukhune United FC)
- Mosa Lebusa (Mamelodi Sundowns)
- Terrence Mashego (Cape Town City FC)
- Njabulo Ngcobo (Kaizer Chiefs)
- Thibang Phete (Belenenses)
- Sifiso Hlanti (Kaizer Chiefs)
- Siyanda Xulu (Hapoel Tel Aviv FC)
- Rushine De Reuck (Mamelodi Sundowns)
- Victor Letsoalo (Royal AM FC)
- Thabiso Kutumela (Mamelodi Sundowns)
- Fagrie Lakay (Cape Town City FC)
- Tshegofatsoo Mabaso (Orlando Pirates)
- Bongokuhle Hlongwane (Minnesota United)
South Africa national football team world rankings
As per the latest FIFA rankings, the Bafana Bafana team sits at position 68 with 1358.24 points, just after North Macedonia, which has 1367.23 points.
What is South Africa national football team highest FIFA ranking? The team's highest FIFA ranking was position 16 in 1996, while its lowest ranking was position 124 back in 1992.
South Africa's national football team trophies
Has Bafana Bafana ever won any trophies since they debuted in the football scene? Yes, they have. They won their first trophy in 1996, after being the champions of the 1996 Africa Cup of Nations competitions.
- (1996) Africa Cup of Nations
- (1996) FIFA Best Mover of the Year
- (1997) Afro-Asian Cup of Nations
- (2002, 2007, 2008, 2016, and 2021) - COSAFA Cup
The South African national football team has raised its fans' optimism after qualifying for the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifications. The team's diehards are optimistic that Bafana Bafana will thrive on bringing the Cup home.
Sportsbrief.com has recently compiled a list of Bafana Bafana coaches. Since 1992, The South African Men's national football team has recruited several coaches. However, only one of the recruited coaches has led them to AFCON glory.
This article finds more information about the coaches, including details about their careers and personal lives. Read more here!
Source: Sports Brief News